07.10i Amber's Pattern

The goings on of courts
Joshua
Gibbering

Re: 07/10i Amber's Pattern

Post by Joshua »

Oberon will shrug. "There's few of us, we haven't compared notes yet." He says to Spellbinder. "Actually, Harrune said something about the differences in the patterns. He might have meant that."
Spellbinder
Missing Some Marbles

Post by Spellbinder »

"Okay, I assumed it had to be something like that. I'm just trying to get a handle on what to expect if I decide to go through with this."
misfit
Raving Mad

Post by misfit »

Harrune continues to make his way forward along the red pattern-line. As he turns another curse he finds the path blocked by a Cani. Harrune can feel the great power radiating from the figure. A look of awed recognition crosses Harrune's face. “Reluu!”

“Greeting child. You've done well to come so far, but now you must face me. If you wish to go forward you will need to force your way past me.”

“But...but you're a god. I can't defeat you.”

“You're on the Pattern child. You must move forward or you shall surely perish. What will become of your family and your precious Amber then? If you wish to live, defend yourself!”

A quarterstaff appears in Reluu's hands. He swings for Harrune's head, but Harrune ducks under. He takes another swing, but a staff appears in Harrune's hands and he parries the swing. Two more swings, each neatly parried, and then Harrune counterattacks. The fight continues to grow in intensity, but Harrune's feet always manage to stay on the Pattern.

After several minutes of fighting, Harrune seizes an opening and knocks Reluu off of his feet. A quick strike knocks Reluu's staff out of his hand. Harrune raises his staff for a blow to finish the fight, but Reluu holds up his hands. “Hold Harrune! I yield. You have defeated me.”

Harrune steps back and Reluu gets to his feet. “Well done Harrune. I knew you had it in you. Oh, and you may wish to look more closely at your staff.”

Harrune looks and realizes that it isn't a normal staff at all. It is several shafts woven togheterh. Along the shafts there are flat, broad branches perpendicular to the shafts. Harrune gasps in recognition. "The World Tree."

“Do you begin to see what you can do when you let yourself?”

“All this talk of us having the powers of gods, of being able to create worlds, to use them as tools or even weapons...it's not a metaphor or hyperbole. It is literally true. I begin to see. I have been holding myself back. I haven't been able to do more not because the power wasn't strong enough, but because I haven't been strong enough to let myself. I...this...it...this is going to take me some time.”

“Yes, but your eyes are opening. You just need to keep pressing forward and you will get there when you're ready. Speaking of which, don't you need to be moving forward? Be true. I am very proud of you.”

“Thank you. I have so much to think about, but that will need to wait for now.” With that Harrune makes a mighty effort and takes another step towards the center...
misfit
Raving Mad

Post by misfit »

Harrune continues forward and to his surprise, Reluu continues along with him. Alaror falls into step on his other side. The scene shifts to outskirts of the town where Harrune was born. The three walk along is silence for a minute or two. After another turn in the path, the path begins to rise into the sky.

Reluu speaks, “Come along Harrune, this is where you belong. The gods all reside above the world of mortals.”

“But,” says Alaror, “I can't follow you there. Can you leave me behind?”

Harrune looks between the two. “Do I really have to choose?”

The two answer together, Reluu's tone compassionate and Alaror's sad, “Yes, you do.”

Harrune looks back and forth between the two. After a moment, he hugs Alaror tightly. With a tear rolling down his face he whispers, “I'm so sorry.”

He releases Alaror, and resumes walking forward. Reluu again falls in beside him.

“That wasn't really a choice was it? The choice was made when I first walked the Pattern. So what was the point of that?”

“The power comes at a price...power always does. You're different than they are. Sometimes you'll have to go places your loved ones can't, to do what they cannot. I know that better than any. I love all of my children, but I am not one of them. I can never relate to them the same way they relate to one another.”

“But I don't want to leave them.”

“You don't need to...at least not completely. I haven't left my children behind. I still visit them. You said yourself that your family is part of your strength. They can still be that. You can still love them, but you can't be them. You still haven't really faced that.”

Harrune sighs. “I have, but in some ways I haven't. It is a hard thing to face.”

The two continue forward in silence until they are just outside the center of the Pattern.

“What you haven't faced yet is that you can go where even I cannot. The last few steps you have to take alone. Be strong my son. Do what you must do.”

With that Harrune walks into the center of the Pattern. He focuses his will and begins to look for Lane's living god...
The Raven
Missing Some Marbles

Post by The Raven »

The Raven interjects:
"So here's an interesting question for you all to ponder. What might I have seen on the pattern? I had no memories to speak of at the time. How might it have tested me?"
Wyvern
Prismatic Pangolin

Post by Wyvern »

Alys raises an eyebrow. "Were you planning on providing an answer to that question? It seems rather silly for us to ponder when you could simply tell us."
Spellbinder
Missing Some Marbles

Post by Spellbinder »

Spellbinder looks at the Raven. "Interesting question. Not having been through the experience neither Alys nor myself are likely to have great insights into that. If you don't recall, is there any reason you couldn't walk again and find out?"
The Raven
Missing Some Marbles

Post by The Raven »

"Well, you see, my memory was somewhat.... blurry... at the time so i don't remember exactly what happened. I suppose I could walk the actual pattern again, but it might not be the same every time. Truthfully, I'm more interested in what you think the answer might be than the actual answer itself. As Alys mentioned, it wouldn't be very interesting if I could just give the 'correct' answer."
Spellbinder
Missing Some Marbles

Post by Spellbinder »

"I've got no frame of reference to even begin to guess. I've done magical tests before. Those were mostly about facing parts of yourself...recognizing your strengths, your weaknesses, or your illusions. If this is similar I don't know you well enough to hazard a guess as to what those are or how it might manifest. Do we even know if the different Patterns have any kind of recurring theme to what people experience?"

Spellbinder ponders for a moment. "It might be a way to sort out some of those lost memories though." He chuckles. "Then again, it might not. If I had the answers I wouldn't be here to observe."
Joshua
Gibbering

Post by Joshua »

Quin will speak up. "Dworkin had a hand in it; something about a cure for cancer. I'm not sure this is for public statement though."