07.10g Once More Unto The Breach

The goings on of courts
Rasanam
Lunatic

Re: 07.10g Once More Unto The Breach

Post by Rasanam »

There's a sensation of coldness from the card (though no actual physical temperature change), followed by resistance*, followed by contact.

Yes, exactly, Rasanam replies. Though I'm not sure I agree with your prior comment about 'other magic' - I think the Trump are something else, more akin to Pattern than to similar magical artifacts.

Oh, right, and before I get too distracted by metaphysics, there is one other thing that's come up... Rasanam explains what's been discovered about Lane. For the moment, we're just trying to learn a bit more before we take action - looking through shadow to see where it came from and how big Lane's church really is, that sort of thing.

_____
* Not much resistance, at least by Spellbinder's standards. Enough that someone with human psyche can't make the cards work at all.
ShadowOfPreservation
Lunatic

Post by ShadowOfPreservation »

Lyra shuffles her deck somewhat more surreptitiously than the others, stopping on Oberon's card and contacting him.

Oberon, if you're free, the newcomer named Spellbinder wishes to speak with you. It has something to do with 'Harrune's project' though he hasn't illuminated me as to what that is exactly yet.
Spellbinder
Missing Some Marbles

Post by Spellbinder »

Spellbinder's mental tone carries a definite feeling of amusement. Cut me a little slack here. I haven't had enough time to even begin to understand their nature, let alone the vocabulary to go with it.

The more seriously: Hmmm...so could be a major problem. ...or a very small one. Depends on how it all plays out. Definitely best to learn what we can. Thanks for the heads up on this one.
Rasanam
Lunatic

Post by Rasanam »

Or not a problem at all, yes. Certainly if I were some shadow-local deity, I'd be cautious about making my presence known around here, regardless of what my intentions were. Dworkin can be quite friendly and helpful... but he can also be something of a jerk. I've seen more of the former than the latter, personally, but if you talk to Cameron or Krajk, you'll likely get a very different opinion.

There's something like a mental shrug, before Rasanam switches back to the more interesting topic of metaphysics, and trying to figure out what the appropriate vocabulary is for trump vs. magic vs. Pattern, and so on and so forth.
Joshua
Gibbering

Post by Joshua »

Oberon was already heading over when he takes Lyra's trump. He grumbles lightly about how a lack of cell phones was a good feature of Amber.... Before walking up. "Hello again... " he says to everyone, greeting each in turn.

"Spellbinder, what were you looking into? And you know, if you walked the pattern, you could probably do it on your own."
Rasanam
Lunatic

Post by Rasanam »

Rasanam laughs. "In this case, I don't think that would help... but I'll let him explain what he's looking for."
Spellbinder
Missing Some Marbles

Post by Spellbinder »

"Oh, these aren't as bad as cell phones. At least everyone isn't playing Candy Crush Saga all the time."

"So, long story short, I'm working on Harrune's sanitation issue. I have a quick fix that will handle a lot of it. The problem is that there are three houses in my way. I can't just kick these people out into the streets, but I don't have the knowledge, contacts and resources to find them new homes. I was hoping you could help me with that."

Thanks to a good pysche, Spellbinder mentally continues the metaphysical discussion with Rasanam without missing a beat.
Joshua
Gibbering

Post by Joshua »

"Oh, well, yes, walking the pattern would give you the resources at least. But, it would be difficult to know how to use it." Oberon shrugs. "Well, yeah, we can get that settled tomorrow. It depends on the residences though. We could get them an apartment, or a job... if they're living there they likely aren't in a good situation to begin with."
Rasanam
Lunatic

Post by Rasanam »

There is, across the trump connection, a mental eye-roll, followed by, Contrary to popular opinion, Pattern doesn't solve everything. Especially around here. ...Which reminds me...

Rasanam turns and takes several steps through the crowd to where Aibne has been lurking. "Hello! I promised you an arcane sight spell; I've got that ready now, if you're not planning on making any trump calls in the next few hours?"
Draylen
Lunatic

Post by Draylen »

The big bear blinks in surprise but shakes his head. "Uh, no, don't think so. I mean, the Regent might call me, but I think she has other people's cards by now, so she has better people for it," he says, ducking his head a little. "I'm, um, what's this supposed to do, again?"

He shakes his head a little and bows to the superhero, his apparent sidekick, and the pet dire-rat. "Hi, I'm Aibne. It's nice to meet you." He blinks a little and looks at the small boy, peering at him and tilting his head, before smiling. "Oh, right, I owe you this." He fishes out a couple of small coins* from a coin purse, handing them to Chance. "Thanks for that message, sorry your payment was so long in coming."

-----
*Likely mostly copper bits, but definitely a good chunk of change for a homeless street rat. Certainly enough to get a good, hot meal and a warm bed with walls for a night or two.