07.10g Once More Unto The Breach

The goings on of courts
Spellbinder
Missing Some Marbles

Re: 07.10g Once More Unto The Breach

Post by Spellbinder »

"Alright, so Oberon I'll let you handle the relocation if that's okay. As for the rest, doing a proper job will require building a full sewer system under the city and something permanent for a purification system. Maybe that part is charcoal filtering, maybe it's magic, maybe something else. Honestly that kind of urban planning and civil engineering is outside of my expertise. I'm more than willing to leave that people better suited for that and it looks like we have at least a couple of them here."

"As I think I've said, what I have in mind is a stop gap until we can get that all set up. I'll buy everyone the time to do their thing and then move on to other projects."
ShadowOfPreservation
Lunatic

Post by ShadowOfPreservation »

"I think," Lyra comments, "that sounds reasonable though with magic Ibelieve we can get something pretty robust in place rather quickly, especially if a few of us work together. A lot of good ideas have been presented and I'd suggest marrying them into one. Aibne's suggestion of access tunnels for repair is a great one. I don't think we want to rely solely on magic for purification long term but it should be an easy task to insert these filters into the system at a later time when they are ready. That should give us redundancy and likely greater efficiency."

"I'm still not sure we need to relocate anyone for this since routing this underground sounds to me like the best solution but if the housing in that are is really as bad as Oberon mentioned, it might be worth using this as an opportunity to begin an urban improvement plan. I'm sure I can get some Orc and Dwarf craftsmen to get involved building or renovating housing in the city, especially if I were to frame the project as a friendly competition. I'm not sure I see how anyone could take advantage of that but I certainly don't know the city like you do, Oberon."
Joshua
Gibbering

Post by Joshua »

Oberon blinks. "Uh, Urban Renewal is relocation. And three hovels, and I do mean hovels, these are shacks that were constructed temporarily. It's basically moving a tent made of metal. Plus, this can be done in two or three days, and will create a stopgap that will allow us time for a long-term solution."
Draylen
Lunatic

Post by Draylen »

"We still need to take care of the people, even if they're living in tents made of metal," Aibne says, frowning. "We have the power to do that, it's our job, Oberon. Everyone has a different tale, a different set of needs, and we need to make sure they're met."

He shakes his head a little. "I'll contact the goblins. This isn't quite their normal kind of work, but I think I can arrange something that they'll be happy to work with us for." He gives a small smile, tilting his head back and looking up at the sky. "And I can talk to the alchemists, see if they can get a water purification system to work right on a longterm scale. I know that there's been some trouble with that, with materials that they used in the places they'd come from."
Rasanam
Lunatic

Post by Rasanam »

"For anything long term," Rasanam tells Aibne, "have them talk to me, please? I've started planning for a proper sewer system; it will just take some time to build. Spellbinder's immediate efforts are a good idea - honestly, something I should probably have thought of myself - but they won't need to last."
Spellbinder
Missing Some Marbles

Post by Spellbinder »

Spellbinder smiles warmly. "Aibne, taking care of the people is exactly what we are talking about. Fixing the sewage problem will benefit everybody. We're looking to move the few people who have to pay the price for this so the price for them will be bearable. Rasanam and Nemo were planning on the long range fix for that already, and it sounds like you could be a big help with that."

"And Lyra, I do understand what you're saying about not relocating people, but let's face it, a lot of people are going to need to be relocated sooner or later. From what I've seen from my aerial recon there are big chunks of the city where people cobbled together buildings out of anything they could scrounge. A lot of it looks too much like a shanty town, and it's a major fire waiting to happen. So yeah, they will need to move one way or another, but you're right that it needs to be done in the right way and for the right reasons."

"I haven't even been here a full day yet, but I already see a lot wrong here. From what I can tell, this city just got too big too fast. None of you has the power to fix everything alone. Check me if I'm wrong here, but there's been a pretty big spike in the number of Amberites recently. Maybe that's because that's what the city needs? When it was small a smaller number was enough, but now it needs more to take care of it. It sounds like each of you can be a big part of that."

"Oh, by the way, how many sorcerors are there around here that aren't Amberites?"
Rasanam
Lunatic

Post by Rasanam »

"That depends," Rasanam answers, "on what exactly you count as a 'sorcerer'. I know of 38 that I would consider to be experienced wizards, capable of devising their own spells with minimal limitations on available effects; I'd guess there are probably another dozen or so I don't know by name - mostly in Rebma. The majority of those are members of the city's mage guild; last I checked, the guild had another sixty or so lower-ranked mages - a category that includes apprentices as well as those who have chosen to specialize in a more specific areas - most commonly transportation, as that's where the largest monetary rewards are."

"The other three courts have a much larger pool - I'd guess another one or two hundred in total - of what I'd tend to call sorcerers or alchemists: People who have a handful of specific tricks or a narrow specialty, but lack either the training or ability to perform more generic works. If you want to know more about Ht'gon's shamans, ask Morgana. Its alchemists, seems Aibne knows a thing or two. Rebma, Ashara or Nemo should be able to field relevant questions. And for the people of Tir'na Nog'th, Harrune is the best person to ask, whether you're looking for magical talent or anything else."
Draylen
Lunatic

Post by Draylen »

The bear gives a small cough. "I also have a tangential connection to the Circle of Green and Gold," he offers, rubbing the back of his neck. "My master is a member." He pauses slightly, and blinks. "Not Rogbar, but Magister Laeryn." He muses softly, and shakes his head. "There are... twenty or thirty full members, a couple dozen handfuls of associates and apprentices, and some socialites who don't have any real talent but throw lavish parties that everyone's slightly embarrassed to admit they enjoy attending?"
Spellbinder
Missing Some Marbles

Post by Spellbinder »

Spellbinder gives Aibne's last comment a chuckle. "So, magic groupies then. Can't say I'm surprised. In a place like this I assume they have a certainly celebrity status. As for the rest, more than I would have guessed, but then again they're not limited to just humans here and they come from different backgrounds than mine no doubt. No real organization, but that's not really a surprise either. Hmmm...maybe I should drop by this mage guild of yours when I get the chance. That could be...educational."
Spellbinder
Missing Some Marbles

Post by Spellbinder »

After a somewhat uncomfortable silence, Spellbinder will finally speak. "Uh...so I guess we're done with this then?"