07.10g Once More Unto The Breach

The goings on of courts
Rasanam
Lunatic

Re: 07.10g Once More Unto The Breach

Post by Rasanam »

Rasanam utters a short (about three words) incantation. "There you go. You'll figure it out, I'm sure; that is, after all, what it's for. Making a trump call disrupts magic; only reason I asked."

The spell is, essentially, Greater Arcane Sight from D&D; it makes magical energies directly visible, and assists in the task of figuring out what any given configuration of energies actually does. It'll last about a day in Amber... or until something disrupts it; Rasanam put some effort into extended duration, but didn't harden it against, for example, shadow travel. And, yes, it's fully self-referential; you can use the spell to observe how, exactly, Rasanam put the spell together.

Incidentally, this is a zero lynchpin spell; it was crafted with magic-of-Amber and the target (Aibne) already specified.
ShadowOfPreservation
Lunatic

Post by ShadowOfPreservation »

Lyra waves to Aibne in greeting before turning back to Spellbinder. "So what exactly is this plan that requires relocating people? I'm certain we can make it easy on anyone that might need to be displaced...attractive even. But is there no other way than removing 3 houses? My husband might have some suggestions to minimize any inconvenience to people. I'm sure he could be a great help with whatever you have planned."
Spellbinder
Missing Some Marbles

Post by Spellbinder »

Spellbinder return's Aibne's bow. "Spellbinder. Good to meet you."

"Lyra, as you've probably noticed, all of the waste of the city just runs down the streets of the city an into the harbor. It is poisoning the water there, and the folk in Rebma are none too happy about that. A permanent solution will take time...maybe more time than they have. As a stopgap I'm planning to dig a couple of trenches to divert the mess and set up a few purification spells so we're just dumping in clean water. Obviously this won't handle the waste from the dock district. That's going to be trickier, but we can look into that too. There really aren't any convenient gaps between the two areas to set up my plan. The best I can find has only the three houses. Anything else would be even worse. Relocating three households to save Rebma seems a reasonable price to me."
Draylen
Lunatic

Post by Draylen »

Aibne blinks as the spell is cast upon him. He closes his eyes briefly, and opens them again, seeing the magic for the first time. He stares at Rasanam, then Lyra and Spellbinder, tilting his head and looking at the spells both active and racked, and then he looks at his ring. He blinks again, and frowns at him self, giving a small sigh. "So... untidy," he says softly, to himself, before shaking his head and tuning back into the conversation.

He blinks. "You need to move three houses? Where? And to whom do they belong?" he asks, frowning a little. "It's probably easier than you think, though that depends on who it is..." He shrugs a little and muses. "I could probably get them moved with minimal fuss in... oh, a day or two, maybe?"
Spellbinder
Missing Some Marbles

Post by Spellbinder »

(OOC When Aibne looks at Spellbinder he should be able to notice to items for racking spells, and his outfit is also enchanted.)

"Well, I didn't take time to ask who they belong to. Judging by the bad construction, I would say they are definitely not people of means and it's hardly prime real estate. It would be kinda hard to find something worse for them. Like I said, I just don't have the resources to make that happen, but I thought that I might have the contacts though." He gives a meaningful look around the group.
Rasanam
Lunatic

Post by Rasanam »

Rasanam shrugs, and comments to Aibne, "I'm not sure minimal fuss is necessarily the goal here; given a day or two I could set up spells to route these trenches under the offending buildings, and I presume Spellbinder could do much the same."
Draylen
Lunatic

Post by Draylen »

Aibne blinks a little and then stares at Rasanam, utterly flabbergasted. "It can do that?" he asks, entirely confused. He pauses a little, and shakes his head. "Um. Anyway. Important stuff. Um." He blinks, and frowns a little, tilting his head back. "If we're looking just to get them off as soon as possible, then I can do that. Fast, dirty, or cheap? I can do two, if you want it done in, oh, an hour or so."

He thinks a little and taps his chin. "How were you planning on digging these trenches, anyway? I can introduce you to a couple of good digger teams..."
Spellbinder
Missing Some Marbles

Post by Spellbinder »

"Thanks. I was planning on using magic. To be honest, this is about more than just helping Rebma. I also need to make an impression on a few people. Do something quick and decisive will help with that, and being showy about it definitely will. Even helping these people find new homes rather then brushing them aside sends a message too."

"As for going under the houses, I had thought about that. My concern there is that there is quite a bit of waste moving through every day as it is. What happens when we get a rain storm, or all of this snow starts to melt? If the tunnels can't handle the volume we're creating whole new problems. We can definitely work on a more elegant system in time. I think some of that is likely require rebuilding parts of this city. No offense, but it's a mess. Obviously no one planned anything, and in a city this size that just won't fly. So again, I'm just thinking of a stop gap to buy someone time to develop a plan and start implementing rather than constantly patching things."
Joshua
Gibbering

Post by Joshua »

"You are making an awful lot of planning for moving people who are only slightly more than vagrants. If Spellbinder is talking about where I think he is, these are basically hovels constructed between areas of the city." Oberon will shrug. "I'm sure we could simply move the houses or rebuild them elsewhere if that's desired. The hard part will be making sure they don't take advantage of the move*."

Post by Draylen »

Aibne frowns at Oberon. "Everyone's the hero of their own tale. It's wrong to treat them like scum just because you can't conceptionalize them as people too," he says, folding his arms together. He shakes his head a little. "If we do a honeycomb pattern, we'll be able to avoid flooding - it's how the mines are built, to deal with heavy storms. We might want to have two layers to it, too, a deeper channel and an upper ledge, so that people can go down as necessary for repairs and stuff."

He pauses a little, and does also raise this point: "And I don't know that I'd trust magic for everything. The Alchemists have been experimenting with a couple different filters, I'm sure they'll have an idea for water purification. I think they were doing something with burnt wood?"