07.10c2: Dragon One's Feet (part II)

The goings on of courts
Wyvern
Prismatic Pangolin

07.10c2: Dragon One's Feet (part II)

Post by Wyvern »

((Continued from here for Alys, and here for Kizak.))

When Kizak catches up to her, Alys waits for an opportune moment before giving him the go-ahead to deliver his news.

Once that's done, she responds, "On the topic of extra precautions you should take, the answer is: none. At least for the moment, matters of security are the responsibility of myself, or Corystes - who should get this news as well, by the way - or whoever else at that level of ability that you might be speaking to."

"I am aware," Alys adds, "that I am pushing you well past the limits of what you are completely comfortable with; the corollary to that is that I will not demand perfection. As long as you do not deliberately set out to reveal any of the secrets you have been entrusted with, I will not be upset... with you."
Wyvern
Prismatic Pangolin

Re: 07.10c2: Dragon One's Feet (part II)

Post by Wyvern »

"For example," Alys adds, "I would not expect you to be aware of a reasonably subtle eavesdropper. Speaking of which, hello, Raven."
The Raven
Missing Some Marbles

Post by The Raven »

"And I was subtly eavesdropping fairly loudly, even!" quips the Raven, mostly in jest. "Hello everyone!"
Joshua
Gibbering

Post by Joshua »

Kizak will nod. "I understand. Thank you for your trust. I... was worried that knowing no one here I would have difficulty fitting in." he will look a little embarrassed. "I was invited to Tir'Na Nog-th for the party tomorrow night. Everyone seems to want to offer something. I have yet to get to the other prices."
Wyvern
Prismatic Pangolin

Post by Wyvern »

Alys nods. "And that is one of the differences between a small village and a city; while some - like Harrune - may try, it is not practical to know everyone in Amber. Nor is it practical to limit one's dealings to those one does know." She leaves the conclusion - that not knowing anyone is a smaller disadvantage in a city - unspoken.

"As for offers and prices... there are a few, shall we say... less cynical sorts around, who offer gifts simply because they can. And, certainly, there is some value to a reputation for generosity. At the other end, there are the likes of Darnell or Ossian who will much more explicitly trade in favors."
"I, personally, prefer somewhere inbetween; I do not deal in charity, but I do prefer to make prices self-contained and obvious. For example, the cost of the training I offered you, is the time and effort it will require of you. Had I wished to set a higher price on that, I would have explicitly included it as part of the initial offer. ...Of course, for that particular example, I would have set a higher price, were I not already offering training on a larger scale as part of what I owe to Dworkin."
Joshua
Gibbering

Post by Joshua »

Kizak will nod. His ear-fins will lower slowly. "And Raven, what price do you claim?"
The Raven
Missing Some Marbles

Post by The Raven »

"I find favors of limited use personally. However, I find that sometimes it's better to give something away then to expect anything in return for it."
Joshua
Gibbering

Post by Joshua »

Oh yeah, that's terrifying. Kizak will nod. "That sounds like..." He will pause and avoid invoking that name. "I suppose that's enough of an answer..." He will sigh.

"Alys, was there anything you needed from me today? I was thinking of perhaps retiring soon. It's been a long day and, this 'game' is not all that interesting to my tastes."
Wyvern
Prismatic Pangolin

Post by Wyvern »

Alys shakes her head. "While there are some things I intend to ask of you - more information about the shadow you came from, for example - there is nothing of any urgency."

She gives Kizak a considering look, before adding, "I had been considering inviting you to come with me to the soirée at Tir'na Nog'th tomorrow. However - unless there is some significant price attached - I think you would be better served by attending on the invitation you already have. Perhaps some other event*, later in the week? If you are interested, it would be best to let me know no later than tomorrow evening; while I have nothing explicitly scheduled yet, I expect to be quite busy this week..."

_____
* The big event is, of course, the formal party in Amber on the seventh, but there are a number of other, lesser events in between times. "Assorted plays and minor shows", plus - almost certainly - various gatherings of lesser nobility, street festivals, and other things that really don't expect any Amberite to make an appearance.

Kizak could go for the brass ring and ask to attend the formal dinner... or he could use this as an entry ticket to any lesser event that he might not otherwise be invited to (or to show off at an event he would be attending anyway).
Given context, the 'obvious price' in this instance is taking some time to talk to Alys about his homeland; he could also decline Alys' offer, or even deliberately negotiate to try to get something more in return for his time & knowledge.
The Raven
Missing Some Marbles

Post by The Raven »

The Raven chuckles. "I suppose that does sound like him, wouldn't it? Well, you don't need to stick around on my account, Kizak."