07.10f: Your Barony for a Speech

The goings on of courts
Joshua
Gibbering

Re: 07.10f: Your Barony for a Speech

Post by Joshua »

Odin will blink. "Haven't you ever needed to impress someone enough that you took a risk? As for how, I thought that was clear... Was there a specific part of how you were confused by?"
Draylen
Lunatic

Post by Draylen »

"Mostly the mechanics... I can see that being incredibly useful on many, many levels, especially for a story teller." He nods a little, before shaking his head, then cocks it. "Thank you for your time, Lord Odin," he stands up, bowing to the chaosite. "But I think it's about time. I hope you will stay to watch the rest of the revelries?" He glances at Harrune, and then steps out, heading back toward the roaring crowds, glancing back at the cani.
misfit
Raving Mad

Post by misfit »

Harrune will also bow to Odin. "My thanks as well Lord Odin. That was...instructive. Please enjoy the rest of day, and I look forward to you joining us tomorrow evening." With that he will follow Aibne out into the festival.

"I'm a bit curious as to who that was supposed to impress. If he and Dworkin are both of Chaos, then shouldn't Dworkin already know what he is capable of? After all, Odin assumes that Dworkin knows what I am capable of, perhaps more so than myself. Unless it was just meant to be a demonstration that he can 'play nicely' with the rest of us. Either way I think it would have been a bit rude for me to ask."
Draylen
Lunatic

Post by Draylen »

"Ht'gon," Aibne answers off hand, shrugging a little. "Showing off a little of the military abilities you have. I wonder if he knows..." he starts, before shaking his head. "Even if he does, well, we'll see how it goes. It was fairly impressive, though." He wanders and weaves through the cheering crowds as Rogbar finishes his run and grumbles about missing it, before leading Harrune to the sportscaster podium. He coughs a little. "Um, excuse me, Grimiz? Blitix? I was wondering if I could borrow your station for a few minutes... I wanted to talk to Ht'gon, and this'll make it easier."
Joshua
Gibbering

Post by Joshua »

Before you go, Odin will simply state: "It's an aspect of chaos. Perhaps an infusion? We can talk more later."

------------------- (your walk to the announcer booth)

The goblin will look up* at Aibne with big eyes... "He used my full name..." Before reverently handing over his megaphone**.
Lunatic

Post by Draylen »

Aibne takes the megaphone with a word of thanks, smiling at him, before ducking his head. He smiles at Harrune, and then puts it to his lips and gives a loud, fearsome roar.

"Warriors, craftsmen, and masters of Ht'gon! Please, listen to me. I am Aibne Grant, well known to some of you, known to others, and heard of by all the rest - and to you all, I give greetings. You are the strength, the pride, and the greatness of the city we all call home, and for that, I salute you! Your power has attracted many who would flock to such a might, and I have the honor to call one of them my friend. Harrune is a wise, smart, and noble man, who will soon be speaking to you all. But I will not sell him myself - such is for him to do, as he would walk our Pattern!

"Masters of Ht'gon, Harrune wishes to join, in some small fashion, the Court of Earth, and our mighty King* has permitted this attempt! But we of the Court feel that to simply permit him to walk the Pattern would be untoward - nay, three challenges will be set before him. For your entertainment, Harrune shall prove his worth in three great challenges!"

He tips his head, giving a small smile to the cani, before continuing. "You who are the wisdom of the Earth, hear now the words of Harrune of Air, King of Tir'na'Nog, Duke of the Moonlit Harbor of Remba, and judge his worth to walk upon the power you possess!"

He hands the cardboard megaphone to Harrune, and gives him a grin. "Win them." He sits down below Grim and Blitz, watching the dog.

-------
*http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/SheIsTheKing Aibne is using King to mean that she rules in her own right, instead of as a consort. Also, the title itself is probably masculine, because it's a culture of warriors. It's the same reason he didn't have an appropriate female title-of-leadership... anywhere in his speech. Not sexism, titles are equivalent regardless of gender!
Veyska
Lunatic

Post by Veyska »

((Meant to post an 'Asai is lurking' post a day or two ago, but oh well. This works too.))

Someone passing close by behind the tent Harrune, Aibne, and goblin!Odin were in shortly after the former two departed might well have noticed a small patch of strangely warmed ground, less than a foot or so in diameter*. Assuming, of course, they were walking around with bare feet, or possibly for some strange reason poking random spots on the ground with a finger or some such equally peculiar behavior. It's certainly not warm enough to be noticeable even through thin sandals or possibly hooves. If such a someone did notice the patch and asked those who were in the area at the time none recall seeing anything amiss or existent at all for that matter.**

(*I thought about doing napkin math based on one of my cats and then decided to be lazy and pick rough guesstimate.)
(**Not that I expect this to be relevant, but someone who's got good psyche/warfare and a dash of luck might find someone who thinks they briefly saw a stray dog (seems more appropriate to the area than a cat and more similarly sized) briefly curled up in that area but the best description that could be provided is so generic it's of no real use.)
Krajk
Needs a Guide

Post by Krajk »

Krajk is also lurking (though more visibly) in the general area. Depending on how long Odin remains inside he may wander about a bit; he can do the whole "at attention" bodyguard schtick but it's boring and tends to involve silly uniforms. Aibne's demanding roar nets a raised eyebrow but no more - anyone who's ever pissed off a pod of dolphins knows full well that appearances can be greatly deceiving.
misfit
Raving Mad

Post by misfit »

Harrune takes the megaphone, looks at it, and then hands it back to Grim. Then he turns to face the crowd and speaks in a confident voice that reaches the entire assemblage (compliments of Dworkin).
“People of mighty Ht'gon An-rit, and I am Harrune. I'm afraid that I must disagree with Aibne on one point. I do not seek to join Ht'gon because in a sense I have already been a small part of it.” Harrune goes on to highlight some of the journeys he made in the early days that brought some of the notable people of Ht'gon here and much needed supplies and materials as well.

During his speech, there are assorted hecklers in the crowd, especially among the orcs. Harrune talks over them, but they just get louder. Eventually one particular red orc is goaded into stepping forward. “Go home dog! We don't need one as weak as you. We are strong.“

Harrune turns to face the orc. “Come then and show me the strength that you're so proud of. I promise you that you shall not be punished for fighting me now. Do you have the courage to back up your words?”

The orc clearly looks uncomfortable - and equally clearly unwilling to back down in front of the assembled might of Ht'gon; he lunges at the cani, fists swinging. “Goreskrym ain't afraid of you, dog.”

The ensuing fight is short and brutal. It is not completely one sided, but it is clear early on that Harrune will win. Eventually he lands a solid hit to Goreskrym's chin, followed by a blow to the stomach, and finally a swipe accross the face with his claws that sends blood flying.

As Goreskrym drops to his knees, Harrune steps back. Unnoticed during the fight, Alaror and Cheknou have stepped up behind Harrune with hands on the hilts of their weapons. Behind them stand Fillane, Cosahr, Lorera, Miliar, Tharon and Lahrang.

“There! You've seen some of my strength. Behind me is a greater strength. Where we come from it is said that you never fight one Cani, you fight the entire family. That has made us a respected and even feared race. We are stronger together than we are alone. We stand strong against our enemies because we stand united. That is what I want for Amber: four Courts standing together.”

“Aibne spoke of Earth and Air, and we have Courts of Fire and Water as well. Each element is great in its own right, but when they combine they create whole new wonders. Life itself would not be possible without all four.”

Harrune continues to talk about the diversity of the Courts, and how they are all stronger when they are united. For example, Rebma produces much of the food. If Ht'gon had to produce their own, it would take away people better suited as warriors and builders and they would be diminished in the process. By being part of the larger whole they can keep themselves stronger.

“I do not seek to rule in Ht'gon An-rit. You already have a ruler much better suited to the task than I could every hope to be. I seek only to strengthen a connection that already exists. Ht'gon is already a part of me. I ask that you accept me as a part of it as well. How say you all?”
Joshua
Gibbering

Post by Joshua »

(OOC: Some notes:
  • Harrune is a Cani. Cani get massive bonuses to social interaction skills and such.
  • Harrune has good stuff and the stats to make this work.
  • I'm not going to be too picky for "you can't talk like a character who is 10x better at making speaches than you are." Same thing with sword fights.
  • It was fairly cool.
  • The player ran it past me and a few other players OOC.)
There's a moment or two of silence. Then one of the dwarves will clap, prompting more. The orcs will look oddly at them... but will, more reluctantly, cheer. The awkwardness is more about them being on the same side in this; that tension is still there. The crowd will grow in volume until most (if not all) of the crowd is making some noise in assent. With Goreskrym's showing, the few not making a scene will avoid booing.

For the record, red orcs respect strength... Goreskrym does cheer.