07.10d In the Way, Out of the Way

The goings on of courts
Rasanam
Lunatic

Re: 07.10d In the Way, Out of the Way

Post by Rasanam »

"Phoenix, hmm?" Rasanam looks thoughtful. "I know Pattern - or apparently opening a trump call - can shield against many forms of energy. I wonder how they fare against mundane fire? I'll have to test that."

"Right now, though, I think I'd like to catch up with my wife; Lyra will know how to deal with this sort of thing better than I." And - unless someone has any immediate comments - he re-casts his armored drake shapeshift and flies off.
Joshua
Gibbering

Post by Joshua »

Min nods. "It can happen. For what it's worth, this is really strange. I had thought I'd seen everything, but I suppose not." He will give Cameron a good pat on the shoulder. "So, what now? I was thinking of collecting Zunkir, but we can figure other things out. If you need..." He will pause for a moment. "I'm sorry the religions of your world did not work out. They can fester if used for the wrong reasons."
khadjair
Lunatic

Post by khadjair »

"I admit, my critique is unfair, given I only really have the experience in my home Shadow; all the other walking I've done I've avoided the residents for the most part. Well, with one obvious exception." He smiles ruefully at that.

"We probably should. I certainly hope he isn't disheartened by the fact that things here don't work as they do at home. Probably 80% of my prior training is useless here, so I sympathize. Many people live here, but I wonder... who all really call this 'home', and how many have just taken up residence here?"
Joshua
Gibbering

Post by Joshua »

Min will shrug. "That's... a valid question. You can walk to anywhere you can imagine, right? Why don't people just ask an Amberite to take them to some paradise? Why stay here?" He will ask. "What is here they can't get elsewhere? I assume the patterns are one aspect of it. Another is that this seems to attract so many cultures. More people and ideas then you can see almost anywhere else. Everything seems to come here." He will snort. "That's not enough of a reason for an orc, is it?"
khadjair
Lunatic

Post by khadjair »

Cameron laughs at that, good and long. "Oh my, no. Not nearly good enough. I mean... I am far more cosmopolitan than even most of the people from my home Shadow, but... My first instinct was to run deep and wander alone for... a long time. So no, that's clearly not enough."

"I know why I'm staying, and it's not just because Morgana demanded it of me. It's because, like it or not, I've got something to do here, a place and a role that is required of me. And even after running away, I ended up here. Entirely unintentionally, but what can I say? Not sure where I stand on 'fate' anymore, but it feels that way, sometimes."

He gets a thoughtful look on his face for a moment. "Though I am curious. Why *four* patterns? And each one slightly different from the other, though I've only seen two up close so far, it was enough to see the differences."

He shrugs. "Me and puzzles. It's how I got to be a mechanist in the first place."
Joshua
Gibbering

Post by Joshua »

"So, that's what you need to find for them. The dwarves are here to build something. If you can get those goals in parallel, you'd be good."
khadjair
Lunatic

Post by khadjair »

"And here I thought the hardest thing would be getting myself to stay still." He chuckles, letting it trail off uncomfortably realizing it wasn't that funny.

"Seriously, though... These orcs are little like the ones back home, save in that they certainly love to fight. But there's the Striders who already do most of that, and I can't see them being accepted or accepting the role of a garrisoned guard; they'd find it boring in time and I think others would find them threatening. Besides, that's... not a solution. It's a workaround."
Joshua
Gibbering

Post by Joshua »

"Maybe some kind of shock troops?" Min will offer.

Zunkir is right there, so collecting him is easy and hard to avoid doing. The albino is mostly bruised pride-wise, although he's soaked from falling into the water*. Tight tunic showing off his well-developed body** as it clings to him and starts to frost. "Hey guys. Uh... do you know who Asai is?" He will ask, before heading inside to dry off.
Lunatic

Post by khadjair »

Cameron pulls the flap of the smallish preparation tent closed as they enter, then heads for the brazier in the middle of the room starting to add coals from a pail beside.

"You should get out of those soaking things and let them, and you, dry. I don't know enough about the state of medicine here to trust it if you ended up with a lung flux." Busying himself with getting the fire up to a nice radiating heat.*

He pulls out his Trump deck and starts leafing through, coming across Asai's card. "This is Asai. Can't say we've interacted much yet, but... well... at least you can put a face to the name?"

-----
* And not at all caring. Nope. Not a care at all. Honest.
Joshua
Gibbering

Post by Joshua »

Zunkir will undress and flex lightly in front of the fire to make sure all of him gets dry. He's a blacksmith so is sitting very close in front of the fire and drying off quickly. He's a little more fireproof than his clothes, so, they're not drying quite as fast.

He will take the trump briefly to get a look at Asai. "Thank you. Everyone is so nice here. Still, she's a... lemur?" He shrugs and hands it back. "Are you okay?"

Min is smirking at the exchange.