07.10a: Eye in my Sun

The goings on of courts
Joshua
Gibbering

Re: 07.10a: Eye in my Sun

Post by Joshua »

It doesn't respond.

As Here walks off, a giant 'walks' up from behind. The ceiling seems to have grown to accommodate the newcomer. He's dressed as a mage and carrying a book sized for his form. He's wearing decorations indicating he's the old head of Asai's old academy. Like, when she originally started there*.

Ignoring the spell, he asks, "And Asai, what is your stake here? And that of your friend?"

Post by Veyska »

Asai turns her head to look at the newcomer and if Harrune had ever had any troubles thinking of the sorcerer as a cat, for one brief moment he would have had none at all. Never mind the thumbs or long limbs or oddly shaped head - for those few seconds her body language is so perfectly "cat" that it seems to transcend her "Asai"-ness. Then the moment passes as she gives her head a vigorous ear-flapping shake and is once more Asai. "It doesn't really seem worth playing that old game, not with a facsimile of someone who died almost a century* before I figured out I'd become a mage myself. Takes all the fun out of trying to tease you about having to wait so long to have your suspicions about me being sentient correct too. Though I suppose I could always travel back and try to find a reputable soul priest powerful enough to speak with your spirit without bringing necromancy into the picture... And for that matter you could technically be his spirit, pulled here by means unknown, but you seem disconcertingly aware of local goings-on for someone who - as far as I could tell, even by sneaking into the restricted archives to read your journals after you'd passed on - had no awareness of the worlds beyond our home plane while he still lived."
Asai twitches her nose and pulls herself back on topic. "You do seem to have gotten Headmaster Darre's penchant for asking wonderfully ambiguous questions down pat though, and I suppose it'd be simpler all around if I just call you by his name. 'Reflection of Headmaster Darre' is just so much more cumbersome." She cocks her head, and continues. "My stake where? Here in this strange place, in Amber, in the situation Harrune and Here were just discussing? And which friend? Harrune who who's right here, or Rasanam who's listening in**?" Her eyes are twinkling with humor; she's teasing what she full well knows could be an extension/manifestation of a Power and that just makes it more fun***.

(*I haven't pinned down how long Asai was alive before Dworkin came and cat-napped her but I figure even on the minimum side of things it was several generations/a couple centuries. Heck, given that she started out as an ordinary example of her species and grew into her sentience, it may well have taken her a decade or few to realize what was happening to her.)
(**She's fairly confident about the answer to this question; this bit is as much for Harrune's information as anything.)
(***As I mentioned to Wyvern earlier, she's 1) a scholar, 2) a sorcerer, and 3) a cat. That's basically contrariness cubed.)
Joshua
Gibbering

Post by Joshua »

"Reflection or not..." He says, kneeling to talk to both of you. "Communication is so difficult with your kind. The method of asking does not diminish the question. Sentience grants choice. To ignore that choice is to ignore one's sentience*. To the reflection of my old pet** I ask, what is your stake here? What is your choice? If you do not think I am worth trusting, then at least tell your leader***... Once you have left, of course."
*: Likely almost identical to a previous argument he made. The thought is that choice proves sentience. A talking cat that makes no choice is just a talking cat, even a smart one. (Probably to differentiate it from a smart golem.) This is the answer to 'where', since every place you asked about is the same thing.
**: There is no hint of malice in this, and no attempt at insult. In fact, he seems to have said it just to mirror your words. (Pun not intended.)
***: Unlike the pattern, this entity will accept "I'm not telling you." It'll be disappointed, but it will accept it.
Rasanam
Lunatic

Post by Rasanam »

My stake here, Rasanam thinks at the extra entity on the line, is two-fold: I wish to understand how the world works, and then make it a better place. Amber seems like a particularly good place to start with the former, and is certainly in need of the latter.
Veyska
Lunatic

Post by Veyska »

"An incomprehensible choice does not disprove sentience, though, only the understanding of that choice; whether comprehension is possible is another question entirely. But this isn't the time to rehash old arguments never had, whether with a spirit or reflection. My role models were rather limited* but I made it there eventually. I am a cat and a mage and a scholar,** in no particular order. The only thing I'm not curious about is what might happen when I run out of things to be curious about. I'm not so arrogant to think I can understand all I discover or learn about, and for that matter there are things I don't want to or wish I didn't understand, but that's not going to keep me from giving it my best effort***. I also enjoy sharing that knowledge, though I'm unsuited to being a teacher to the majority of people. In fact, that's part of why I went with Dworkin when he showed up - I was finding myself getting impatient with some of the professors and unfortunately the one who caused that state the most also happened to hate cats and any sentient nonhumans which went over oh so well with the other races at the university save for the catfolk who found it hilarious because they could smell that he had elvish blood... But that's why all the libraries in Amber - if I can't teach then I shall make the knowledge available, both to those who can and do teach and to those who, much like my old self, have the hunger to teach themselves." She cocks her head, and says, "Is that a more satisfactory answer, professor? And thank you for your answer to my first question, perhaps some day I'll even have enough pieces of the puzzle to know what it is I'm trying to solve..."

(*Housecats and crazy mages. One had no useful knowledge to impart and the other had too much - Asai went almost straight from "meow" to reading higher philosophy, but comprehending the information overload and turning it into proper understanding took a lot longer.)
(**See previous post's comment about cubing.)
(***See old adage about curiosity and cats, except it was never designed to handle a cat with Asai's level of power or cheatery.)
Joshua
Gibbering

Post by Joshua »

He will nod. "Yes, that's much more what I was interested in. From both of you*. You will likely find me frustrating; that is regretful. You do look so much like her..." Standing back up, he will add, "My predecessor is interested enough. The exam** is still on. You are welcome to work with the others."

"It seems like time is pressing. The pep-rally is waiting. I- am uncertain how to allow you to contact me. Try inter-department mail***." He will walk off unless you stop him. The trump spying fades as he leaves.

A few moments later, another archway is suddenly there (when you weren't looking) revealing...
Draylen
Lunatic

Post by Draylen »

Aibne strolls through the open gateway, peering around. "Oh, hi there Harrune! I was looking for you. What's going on here? I thought I knew everything in the mountain." He shakes his head a little. "I'd come by to tell you guys the main event was going to start soon."
Joshua
Gibbering

Post by Joshua »

In case you're wondering... The room reverts to a normal-sized sitting room with mirrors and chairs. Aibne doesn't see the endless version.
Rasanam
Lunatic

Post by Rasanam »

Well, Rasanam comments to Asai as the third party fades from the trump call, I suspect that may have been a bit more literally 'instructive' than you'd intended. Any further insights to impart, or should I close this down now?
misfit
Raving Mad

Post by misfit »

"Greetings Aibne. Hmmm...well I believe that would be because we are not in the mountain as you understand it. Asai and I were brought here so certain entities could talk to us." To save time typing, suffice it to say that Harrune fully recounts what just happened. "So, I'm not sure that our hosts are done with this party yet, especially since they seem to allowing you to join us."