07.11b: Morning on a Fae Hill

The goings on of courts
NPC
Needs a Guide

Re: 07.11b: Morning on a Fae Hill

Post by NPC »

"Of those, I suspect you would be happier with the subsidy; mandating lower property values than people are willing to pay merely encourages them to find other ways to use the extra funds to acquire what they want... Alternatively, if you wish to avoid the entire issue, it might be worth considering disguises? Regardless, we should discuss this with Lady Ninaer; while she does not ordinarily concern herself with mere property transactions, I think she would consider this a worthwhile exception."

_____
Celeste Ammarith Victoria
Rasanam
Lunatic

Post by Rasanam »

Rasanam shakes his head. "No, no disguises. I want people to know I'm out here, not stuck in the castle where I won't see what's happening in the city. Maybe a subsidy combined with a temporary freeze on property transactions? I don't want to change the character of the area just by being here... but if that's truly unavoidable, so be it."
ShadowOfPreservation
Lunatic

Post by ShadowOfPreservation »

Lyra nods her agreement. "I'm not familiar with Lady Ninaer but certainly wouldn't mind meeting more people. If all of this works out perhaps I can look into starting up a business again somewhere in the city."
NPC
Needs a Guide

Post by NPC »

Celeste nods, and sips at her tea. "That seems reasonable enough; everyone else on this street is running some sort of business..." She laughs cautiously, and then looks thoughtful.

"Actually, if you're going to do that, I might advise having that up and running as soon as you move in - after all, if you are hosting a business in your home, some of our more... elevated nobles might think twice about trying to move into the area and, horrors, dabbling their toes in matters of mere mundane utility."

_____
ShadowOfPreservation
Lunatic

"I'm not sure I'd want to try and run a business out of here really. I'd rather look for someplace else for that. Someplace not so nice. Or even see if there's anyone doing anything similar to what I'm thinking and try and simply work out a partnership."
Rasanam
Lunatic

Post by Rasanam »

Rasanam nods. "I don't think this is the right place for what you want to do... but that doesn't mean I couldn't run something. Or even Fjolnir. The question, then, is what." He looks over at his (sortof-former) familiar. "Is there any sort of business you'd want to start?"

The raven tilts his head one way, then the other. "I haven't given that much thought, really. Courier service, maybe? I'll have to think about it."
NPC
Needs a Guide

Post by NPC »

"Might I enquire," Celeste asks Lyra, "What sort of business you were considering? If there is similar, it is possible that I might know of it..."

_____
ShadowOfPreservation
Lunatic

"It's just an idea I've been toying with recently. I feel that walking the Pattern didn't give us the right to rule, it gave us the responsibility to rule. There's large and long term issues to be addressed of course but we still have a duty to the people. I'm afraid that with how relatively new Amber is, laws and customs may have been adopted that may not be just. I was thinking of some sort of protective legal service, public defenders of sorts, that anyone who feels they have been treated unfairly can go to to mediate their case. I've sure the need is there so I'd need quite a bit of help hearing cases and sorting through the issues, perhaps even dealing with them even. Regardless I'd be involved to weigh in and act when necessary. I'd need people capable of ferreting out the truth in a person's words, people knowledgeable of the local economy and current laws. Ideally the business would ultimately become obsolete but I fear in the mean time it may be all too necessary. I have some ideas of how to go about trying to set it up but it would need to be located in a central location is easy for anyone to get to."
NPC
Needs a Guide

Post by NPC »

Celeste hmms, and finishes her tea. "Sounds like Watch business. Another matter to bring up with Lady Ninear? I suppose we should likely be about that, then. If you'll allow me a moment, first, though..."

Assuming that Rasanam and Lyra agree, Celeste slides open the door to the back room, and spends a bit going through various shelves and boxes, "Where did I leave that... Ah, here it is." She returns to the main room carrying a large leather-bound book, written in a language that seems halfway between egyptian pictographs and chinese sigils.

She holds the book out, and bows. "Here. A gift for the two of you."
_____
ShadowOfPreservation
Lunatic

Lyra reaches out, taking the book and examining the characters. "A gift? Why thank you. I'm afraid I didn't come prepared with anything for you in return." Lyra flips through some of the interior pages carefully. "I don't recognize the writing. What sort of book is this?" She holds it out as she continues to examine the pages so that Rasanam can see as well.