07.09s Ley of the Land

The goings on of courts
Joshua
Gibbering

Re: 07.09s Ley of the Land

Post by Joshua »

Lookout, that thug is going to throw his sword! Actually, uh... without training... and it's more a scimitar than a sword... The fact it's bouncing off your outfit is more due to the fact that it strikes hilt-first than anything. Said thug doesn't even wait to see if the sword hits, he is more tossing it away as he runs. The rest of the group do follow, with the exception of the captain.

The one whose wrist you're holding makes a brief effort to struggle before realizing he's more than a little outclassed. He will hold still in an attempt to not have his arm broken.

The captain will speak up, but a bit more cautiously. "What you are doing is illegal. We are not pretending, this is how the law works here." With that, so long as you release his fellow 'guard', he will retreat.

Chance will shiver and make sure his giant rat is okay. "Thank you, sir. But, I'm not worth your life, or the turf war you seem to have chosen..."

(OOC: Unless you want to go all wolverine on them for the sword toss...)
Spellbinder
Missing Some Marbles

Post by Spellbinder »

Spellbinder will look at the captain. "This may be how the law used to work, but I'm here to change that. Tell his Koschei of yours that I will be along to discuss the situation with him." He will then release the guard and let them run. He'll pick up the sword, look it over and shake his head. "Amateurs."

He turns to Chance and puts a gentle hand on his shoulder. "Are you alright? And your pet? Do you have somewhere safe to go? The streets may not be safe for you until I get this sorted out. Oh, and do you know someone who might give me a good price for this sword?"

OOC - Spellbinder very much wants to make sure Chance has something to eat, but is suddenly painfully aware that he doesn't have any local money on him.
Joshua
Gibbering

Post by Joshua »

"The sword?" Chance will ask... "I, uh, yeah, I know a place..." he will say. "The market always has need of weapons." He will sigh. "You do not want to face someone like Koschei. These are the greatest swordsmen of the great. This land attracts leaders and those who were big fish... even in the bigger pond, some are still big fish."

His rat has taken an immediate liking to Spellbincer, nuzzling a little into his legs... like a cat, more than a dog.

"We, don't really have a place. And nowhere that'd be safe from Koschei. But we have imposed enough. I can be something of a guide, that should help."
Spellbinder
Missing Some Marbles

Post by Spellbinder »

Spellbinder rather absently reaches down to pet the rat.

"Okay, first thing: you are not imposing. I am involved because I chose to be. That's on me, not you."

"Second, I'm a pretty big fish in my own ways. I've faced worse than Koschei before. I'll tell you a little secret here: my clothes are enchanted and normal swords can't hurt me. If they had anything powerful to hurt me they'd control more than a few blocks. They need to fear me much more than I need to fear them. They are supposed to protect the people, not exploit them. I mean to correct that."

"Third, a guide would be a big help. I just got here today and I'm still learning my way around. And we will find a safe place for the two of you."

"So, let's deal with the sword and some food for you. Then I'll need you to point me to Koschei. That should give him time to get his underlings together. It will be easier if I address them all at once."
Joshua
Gibbering

Post by Joshua »

Chance blinks... and nods. "Oookay...." He will say. "You're... not from around here. Everyone here is a big fish. This place only seems to attract those."

He will address his rat, "Come on, Risk. Let's get to the market."

(Montage of attempting to sell sword... Seriously, I can't think of any thing interesting for that. He will explain a little of the barter economy that has sprung up, and what's rare and hard to obtain.)

Miraculously, one of the venders you find afterwards is selling metropolitan-style chili-dogs and pretzels with mustard. The prices are a bit steep, but it has the feeling of 'like-home' to it. I'm sure it means nothing, but the vendor is using a seven-pointed star (point up) as his logo. Identifying himself as a member of the Church of the Four Castles.

Change will sit, contemplating how to eat a chili-dog, while enjoying the pretzel first. "Most of the guards in the city are small-time thugs. A good chunk of them are honestly interested in public order. That decree comes down from Dworkin himself. Order is to be maintained. But the Amberites have all the power. And, Oberon isn't able to clean up the city by himself. He's more a playboy anyhow."
Spellbinder
Missing Some Marbles

Post by Spellbinder »

Spellbinder's face breaks into an amuse grin. "No, I'm not from around here. Is anyone really? I think the definition of 'big' is different here and a lot of people are finding they aren't as 'big' as they are used to being. If everyone here is a big fish like you said, then you must be too. So far it hasn't seemed like it to me, but I could be wrong. And things change. Who knows what tomorrow holds? I think I have a few surprises in store for people."

Spellbinder will take a minute to work on eating his own chili-dog. "Maintaining order is a good goal, but it's a question on how it's done. I don't like the version I'm seeing, so I want to change it. Hmmm...you're right, I don't think Oberon is the one I need to talk to when I get a chance. I think Rolf would be one. He just made my 'to do' list." He shakes his head. "That list is getting awfully long awfully quick."
Joshua
Gibbering

Post by Joshua »

Chance will nod. "I- can't get into the castle. Rolf is likely there or maybe doing security at Ht'Gon. I can't get in there either... I don't have an invitation. Risk, well, maybe, but he's a pet*."

"Are you... uh... Are you an Amberite?" He asks finally.

Again, not that it matters but everyone** within earshot stops and looks at your table once that word comes up.
Missing Some Marbles

Post by Spellbinder »

Spellbinder will raise his voice a bit, but overly loud, and say in a lighthearted tone, "Ah, I just love a place where people don't eavesdrop." In a colder tone (somewhere near absolute zero) he will continue, "I'll have to visit one some day." His tone will moderate, but he will continue at the higher volume. "If there was a new Amberite I think people would hear about it. I would also think they wouldn't want to risk his anger by prying into his business."

Assuming that gets the crowd paying attention to their own business he will speak very quietly to Chance. "Between you and me, technically no but I'm told I'm about one step down from that. So I am a rather big fish after all."

Then back to a normal tone. "So, no offense but I'm assuming you don't have a job. What would you like to do if you could?"
Joshua
Gibbering

Post by Joshua »

Thankfully, most of the surrounding people scatter at the comment.

"I actually apprenticed as a gaffer*, but the equipment is... not easy to get here." He will explain. "Hard to find a good glory hole around here. Actually, that's a little of where I got interested in mechanicals. Which lead a little to locks... and then..."

Post by Spellbinder »

Spellbinder will think for a minute, then what is visible of his face will color to match his outfit. "Oh! ...right. Duh! Sorry. I assume you still want to work glass if you could? If we can't find you the equipment, maybe some could be made. Could you design what you need? We're way out of my specialty here, but if I understand what you need maybe I can help you get it. Tools, materials and all will take time to pull together though. In the meantime I can work you like a dog as my guide." Spellbinder grins. "Interested? Or did you have something else in mind?"