07.09q: The Thought That Counts

The goings on of courts
khadjair
Lunatic

Re: 07.09q: The Thought That Counts

Post by khadjair »

"I am not offended at all, my Lady. Hell, to be honest the fight I won was entirely unplanned. A fight against another Amberite with actual combat training would've resulted in my swift and sure defeat without trickery. I may have been a soldier but none of the weapons I am trained to use seem to work here. A fact for which I am actually rather glad."

"As for the orcs, I am working on it. I worry a bit that creating a fortification, functionally a walled city, with their camp at the heart may for a time increase their sense of separateness, I also plan on setting up a craftsman's quarter, where I'll gather those who have.. issues with getting respect from others. I've already found one ally in the sculptor, Thanos, and he should know several others who would appreciate not needing to deal with the established political issues, and might welcome some entirely different ones. I also found a talented assistant in Shadow who agreed to come with some of his family, and I haven't seen many minotaurs around so that may stir the pot a little too."

"And... I am discovering just how heavy leadership can weigh on even those who aren't at the top. I've barely missed making several mistakes already, and Osmund has been invaluable in helping keep me from making even bigger ones."
Joshua
Gibbering

Post by Joshua »

"The minotaurs are ... remarkably civilized. They may have difficulty with it among the orcs. The humans have had similar issues with the barbarians who arrive." She ponders. "I suppose it's a matter of technology level? The dwarves and orcs seem to argue more on the level and goal of civilization."

She shakes her head. "The blood feuds many of them bring are also issues, but... no one here is really the same clan as the ones they were fighting against. Perhaps the heads could be convinced of the change?"

"Im not sure what will work, but anything you can do will be a help. Perhaps, Aibne could be of use. The striders are one of the few groups that get both sides working together, and he is both well respected there and an Amberite."
khadjair
Lunatic

Post by khadjair »

Cameron nods thoughtfully. "I'm thinking that bringing the technology level up will help a lot. It's a tale that played out in my home Shadow several times, where nomads and the like were exposed to the wonders of civilization and took to it quickly. Sometimes too quickly."

"The minotaurs will be interesting; one of them, a priest of sorts, well... he's wiser than I would have expected but again anything resembling clergy that I am familiar with are almsot always minor functionaries. I think at least two of them will be good examples, and there is no doubt they could hold their own in a fight to prove they belong."

"And as for the Striders in general, I was planning on employing their services to assist in designing the fortifications. That would get them in amongst the orcs more regularly, and since this is going to be quite a task, even with the machinery I can bring to bear, there will be workers all over the place and the orc won't be able to, or I suspect interested in, providing all of the labor necessary. But I will make sure some of them are involved. I'll tell them stories about how it will develop strength in ways they wouldn't get through just martial sparring and whatnot. That should help..."

"And as for blood feuds... Familiarity doesn't always solve that problem, but they will generally bun out in a couple generations of being integrated. I know that's of little comfort, but sometimes wounds take a long time to heal, at least from what I've seen of history."
Joshua
Gibbering

Post by Joshua »

Morgana will nod. "The the only order I see worth stating is do not disappear again. You are here to stay."
khadjair
Lunatic

Post by khadjair »

Cameron nods and inclines his head. "I understand, my Lady, and will do as instructed. I was under... some duress when I left."

He pauses for a moment, looking to Osmund then back to Morgana. "Is there anything else you would wish to discuss? If not.. I should probably get back to the tournament. Put in a showing and all. If I am to be the orc's noble representative I need to see and be seen, at least for ceremonial purposes." He says the last with a bit of a weary sigh, but only for a moment.
Joshua
Gibbering

Post by Joshua »

Osmund will replace his dagger. "I'm okay... we can experiment later. Perhaps, a trump card of me would be helpful?"
khadjair
Lunatic

Post by khadjair »

Cameron nods. "That would be a good idea. I'm curious about how they work anyway. Dworkin should arrange to get you a deck, and he hinted that you would need t be drawn... I was thinking about finding Rasanam or Darnell to engage in discussion about how they work, and perhaps in that time we can arrange to have an interim Trump of you drawn while we wait for however long it takes Dworkin to follow through on his promises and inclinations. Perhap I can get an extra one made o fme that you can have as well."

He turns to Morgana and gives a half-bow. "By your leave, my Lady, it seems there are errands to run, and people to be seen by."
Joshua
Gibbering

Post by Joshua »

Morgana will nod. "Of course. Please, have a good time. I'll be heading back shortly."
Joshua
Gibbering

Post by Joshua »

Looks like Kizak will intercept you shortly afterwards, about a meeting. Osmund is at an utter loss why he was invited, but is willing to go.
Wyvern
Prismatic Pangolin

Post by Wyvern »

As an aside, Cameron should know exactly what this meeting is about, given that Kizak's message includes a "Or Osmund can ask Cameron about shapeshifting, if he doesn't mind getting the information second-hand", and Cameron has already gotten the "this is what advanced shapeshifting can do" lecture from Alys. Of course, that was off-camera (skype chat that never got written up), and he's certainly welcome to show up and listen to it again if he wants to.