07.09q: The Thought That Counts

The goings on of courts
khadjair
Lunatic

07.09q: The Thought That Counts

Post by khadjair »

Cameron will leave from Dworkin's box and make his way through the festival back towards the throne room, Osmund in tow. If anything, he'll seem more protective than he has before, though that won't stop him from grabbing a drink (or two) along the way.

The throne room itself is still unsettled from earlier events, though has mostly settled, replaced now with a small gaggle of workers arranging things for the events that will happen that evening. Morgana herself is distracted by a hushed but angry-sounding discussion with a small number of dwarves, most of whom seem actually cowed by the show of anger toward them.

Cameron will come to the entryway and sketch out a short bow. "My Lady Morgana, might I request an audience with you for a moment? If..." he looks about the room pointedly, "there are too many pressing matters it can await your pleasure."
Joshua
Gibbering

Re: 07.09q: The Thought That Counts

Post by Joshua »

Morgana will take a moment to regain her composure. "Yes, of course." She will comb her hair with her thick fingers, regaining, a bit of her normal regal air. She will turn momentarily to the dwarves, "Unless we weren't done?"

They will shake their heads. "We got it." "No more trouble." "Sorry ma'am!" and scatter.

She will smile politely. "What can I do for you, Cameron?"
khadjair
Lunatic

Post by khadjair »

Cameron watches them go with a hint of suspicion in his eyes. He then turns to Osmund to make sure he's doing alright, before stepping forward.

"I would like to petition to have Osmund instated as a minor noble in the court, specifically as my Count, which I understand is a term for a high-borne attache'. As for his background and why him specifically, well... there is something that I believe you need to know. Dworkin is aware, and it will likely not be long before others are aware." He looks about to make sure there are no eavesdroppers.

"If I may approach that we may speak in greater confidence, my Lady?"
Joshua
Gibbering

Post by Joshua »

Morgana will nod and the Striders and other security who are eavesdropping will pout, but reluctantly stop. Quickly they clear one of teh smaller side-rooms and turn it into a simple reception area.

Moraga will guide you there, and the guards will step outside and close the door. "What do you need, and what was so sensitive that you needed time in private?"
khadjair
Lunatic

Post by khadjair »

Cameron follows along, bringing Osmund with him. Once inside, he will wait for Morgana to be sated before taking a seat himself.

"Well, first... I wanted to make sure the political repercusions of asking Osmund to be my attache' with the rank of Count were manageable. Protecting him and giving him a place here amongt Amberites is... well, to be blunt, critical. Because... well, my undertanding is that there are at least two great Powers out there - one sits in Chaos and one sits here in Amber as Pattern."

"But just as Amber casts Shadows out from here, so too, apparently, does Pattern itself. Osmund found one of these Patterns out there, it is not complete, in fact it look to be broken somehow... but it gives him access to many of the same talents and gifts that walking the Pattern itself does. Not all of them; he still speaks of wanting to be "real" in the way that walking the Pattern changes us. But it is still there. A Power, perhaps lesser than the Patterns here, but Pattern nonetheless. As such... I am not sure of the political implications, since it is technically not Ht'gon's Pattern that he walked, or necessarily even a shadow of it."

He takes a deep breath, then lets it out. "I realize it's been a weighty day, my Lady, and i apologize. I know the situation with Harrune and the attempted assassination complicated things already an this may complicate moreso. But the fact that there are Patterns out there that are not one of the four courts nor Amber directly coul complicate things."

"And, as expected, Dworkin was less than useless. All he did was confirm that there is more training Osmund needs before he is fully ready to walk one of the... major Patterns."

He pauses for a moment. "This all sounded so much clearer and more noble in my head, my Lady."
Joshua
Gibbering

Post by Joshua »

Morgana will look at Osmund... then Cameron. "Count shouldn't be an issue. When we have time, I'd like to figure things out. But, for now... uh, any idea how his power is different?"

"I can only walk through flaws. Places where reality is broken. Chaos zones, murder alleys... it's really terrible." Osmund will add, "When I summon my pattern it is visible and has ... tendrils that channel magic. I'm not sure if that's unique or what."

"There- there is one more thing..." He says... "I... it..." He will gulp. "There was a second item with the - er, fractured pattern. It disrupts magic and at least the abilities I have." He will nervously fiddle in his cloak, and draw what appears to be an obsidian dagger. The leather wrap around the hilt is slowly starting to rot. "I really have no idea, but it... uh... It's probably nothing."
khadjair
Lunatic

Post by khadjair »

"As for the nature of this broken Pattern, it's something that I've already engaged Alys and Harrune on, and Dworkin seems unconcerned, though I shudder to think anything that he would take seriously. There's still a great many things to think about, but I think for now, getting Osmund under someone's protection is a good idea. And for now... well, he's saved me from making several mistakes already so he's already been serving me well. It's only fair that I put my neck out a bit for him."

he rests a hand on Osmund's shoulder. "I told you I'd do my best to protect you. And I will. With this you'll be able to stay here, and you'll, with luck, be more readily able to walk the Pattern when you are ready. And if you're here, we also won't have to worry about protecting you from the Hivers. And, perhaps, you can teach me some things about sorcery, since I know absolutely nothing."

He bows his head to Morgana. "I apologize again for bursting in so suddenly. I will await formal word of Osmund's acceptance as my Count, and will informally refer to him as such when it proves necessary."

He considers for a moment, then gets an almost sheepish grin. "I also forgot to mention... I am going to begin a survey of the lands around the orc encampment, and look to fortifying it. If war does come, it would be best that they not be overrun by any force prepared to besiege Ht'gon. Of course, I will present any plans for approval, and should you wish me to wait I shall..." he swallows. "I apologize for not seeking counsel on this earlier, my Lady. I am still new to much of this..."
Joshua
Gibbering

Post by Joshua »

Morgana will shake her head. "Cameron, he is already your count. You named him that a few minutes ago. I simply choose not to countermand it. And plans are fine. You can't do much worse a job than the hodgepodge that's been going on outside. All I ask, is that you emphasize the fortifications are not for defending against the city. The humans here are not going to raid us."
khadjair
Lunatic

Post by khadjair »

Cameron blushes a bit. "As I said, I'm new to all this, I apologize if I come off as trite. As for the fortifications, I will make it clear that it is for protection against things that would seek to harm all of Amber, not just Ht'gon. Though I will say, I intend to make them somewhat impressive. Orcs need to learn to take pride in more than the strength of arms. literally and figuratively, and this may help them understand that a little better."

"Is... there anything I can do for you, my Lady? I would not take any more time than necessary." He smiles to Osmund, who has in one swoop been given rank, legitimized, and welcomed to Ht'gon.
Joshua
Gibbering

Post by Joshua »

"Please don't take offense that I am not expecting you to fight for Ht'Gon's pattern. I chose that because I wanted to make a showing that Amberites are powerful. And I wanted to use those who are more well known for battle prowess. You have a little reputation in the orcs, but your fight wasn't that public nor is it that well known. Lyra challenged Grind and won in front of all of Ht'Gon. Alys caught Daq Nott in front of the guards and he.. kind of has a reputation as an assassin. And Aibne... well, he's just... he's been here longer than I have, just not as an Amberite."

She will sigh. "Leadership is heavy. Do good in bringing things under control. What I could use the most from you, is to keep the orcs in line, and perhaps bring them on board with this melting pot of cultures."