07.09p: Privileges and Responsibilities

The goings on of courts
Spellbinder
Missing Some Marbles

Re: 07.09p: Privileges and Responsibilities

Post by Spellbinder »

"I definitely get the impression that machinations are all too easy to find here. In fact, that's been my issue so far is that there are too many that seem to be directed at me personally. Hopefully I'm just hitting a bad day for that."
The Raven
Missing Some Marbles

Post by The Raven »

"It's still part of the new year's celebration, so they could be outlining their goals for the coming year. I don't really know if it's traditional to do so, I've only been to one of them after all."
Joshua
Gibbering

Post by Joshua »

(I am under the impression this takes place outside the balcony of Kevin's room.) Oberon will step out onto the nearby balcony. "If you wish to discuss plots aimed at you, you need to talk to Krajk. He ... Yeah, what happened to him yesterday, was a grand conspiracy that this does not even approach. Krajk's trap involved someone attempting to use him to assassinate his charge, and then baiting him onto the pattern. I don't think I can do it justice with an explanation. I can point him out if you return to the festival."

He will shrug. "Anyhow, we could definitely use some help sorting out the city. For all its size and grandeur, it's only about five years old. And yes, some of that is sanitation, and some of that is the fact the organized crime IS the local law enforcement in most places.
Spellbinder
Missing Some Marbles

Post by Spellbinder »

Kevin sighs heavily. "So, we're back to plots to manipulate and get people to walk the Pattern. This is not comforting at all."
Joshua
Gibbering

Post by Joshua »

Oberon will nod. "I suppose. Some choose it. I did. Some... like Raven, uh... and correct me if I am wrong... were not given the choice. Although, I heard rumors it was believed that was the only way to save your life after your arrival*. I could have that wrong."

"Alys, is someone who has not been enticed. She was even given a card in these decks... without any expectation she will walk the pattern. Perhaps Dworkin has something worse in mind for her."

He will think... "Quin or Darnell would be who to ask. Quin is more likely to know, but Darnell is more likely to tell you if he knows."

Post by The Raven »

"It was the simplest option, though probably not the only one. I wasn't in any condition to choose. My circumstances were... very unique... though."
Joshua
Gibbering

Post by Joshua »

"The small parts are the difficult ones. We do have a weird mix of old and new here. I mean, the crime rate is kind of high. Not unheard of for, say... uh... London in 1888* with widespread corruption and worse. The sanitation issue is from the fact that Rebma is in the bay, and almost all our waste currently washes into it. A solution might prevent a war between the underwater and air-breathing courts." Oberon will shrug. "They seem to need leaders, but they also need infrastructure and engineers who know how to put that together."

Post by Spellbinder »

"So Harrune was right? It is that serious? I'm no engineer, but Harrune seemed to think magic could solve the problem. I can take a look at the situation. It sounds like it's too big for a quick fix, but if we can at least slow things down and show that an effort is being made that might buy some time. I can't promise results, but I'll check into and we'll see."

"As for crime, that is more up my alley. The problem is that you don't seem to have much of a code of laws or legal system for enforcing them. 'Judge, jury and executioner' isn't really my thing. I can at least start looking into that as well."

"Of course this is all on one condition: people need to back off on trying push me into doing things. If people want to ask, that's cool. I just won't be a pawn. Let your colleagues know that, okay?"
Joshua
Gibbering

Post by Joshua »

"Sure... I don't think Pawn is right anyway." Oberon will shrug. "I'll have to see what card they're planning for you. Also, you should talk to Alys. She's going to be working on training the guards, and if your'e going to be some sort of special agent within that, or turning criminals over to them, you should get to know how things work. If you need laws enacted for it, let me know."
The Raven
Missing Some Marbles

Post by The Raven »

"Speaking of people asking me to do things, I was supposed to warn both of you about the Hiver threat." The Raven explains what Alys told him about the Hivers. "Not that you needed anything else to worry about, Spellbinder."