07.09p: Privileges and Responsibilities

The goings on of courts
Spellbinder
Missing Some Marbles

07.09p: Privileges and Responsibilities

Post by Spellbinder »

Following an unpleasant exchange with Harrune, Kevin will fly over the city and back to the Castle. He is currently intent on returning to his quarters, grabbing his belongings and catch the next ship out. If anyone wishes to interrupt that plan, they are welcome to do so.
The Raven
Missing Some Marbles

Re: 07.09p: Privileges and Responsibilities

Post by The Raven »

As Spellbinder is about to enter the castle, a large Raven lands in front of him. Raven looks at him, then quickly surveys the area.

"Oh hello there. You must be a new arrival. No one else would have attracted that much attention." Raven motions towards a nearby tree with four ravens in it. "I am called Raven. How are you liking Amber?"
Spellbinder
Missing Some Marbles

Post by Spellbinder »

Spellbinder seems totally unfazed by a talking raven. He is very clearly not in a happy mood at the moment.

"Ah, Raven. Yes, I've heard of you. Also fairly new here as I understand it. I am known as Spellbinder. As for how I am liking Amber, I'll like it better when I've gotten a few dimensions between it and me. This place is throwing up way too many warning flags way too quickly. When someplace feels this much like a trap it's time get clear."
The Raven
Missing Some Marbles

Post by The Raven »

"A trap?" the Raven ponders. "I guess it is, isn't it? Though the trap part isn't for you. Amber just takes some getting used to is all. Do you have any questions? I might have better answers..."
Spellbinder
Missing Some Marbles

Post by Spellbinder »

"A trap, but not for me? I don't follow you on that one. People knew I was going to arrive before I knew, and then everyone seems to be trying to tie me to this place in one way or another. That certainly feels like a trap. My 'fight or flight' is kicking into overdrive. I've learned the hard way not to ignore it."

"As for a question, the big one that leaps to mind is does everyone here have some kind of agenda?"
The Raven
Missing Some Marbles

Post by The Raven »

"Yes, that was part of the trap, imagine what would have happened if you weren't wanted here." The Raven thinks for a moment. "I suspect they tried to shove off some uninteresting task on you as well. When that happens, it's best to investigate the issue discretely to see if it's worth doing, without committing to anything. Some tasks can be well worth the payoff, though that is pretty rare... Its not like they can order you to do anything."

"Agendas, hmm... I won't deny that I'm working on a few things myself, but I leave myself time for other things. The others... well they're usually working on something, and would be happy to involve you. They don't mean any harm, at least most of the time. The ones you want to deal with are the ones that are transparent about it."
Spellbinder
Missing Some Marbles

Post by Spellbinder »

"Well okay, when you put it that way I guess everyone has their own agenda. It would have been better to ask if everyone has an agenda for everyone else. And everyone seems to think that Dworkin can force me to do what he wants. I've made a career out of opposing people like that. Being the...minion...of someone like that is not who I want to be...who I'll let myself be."

Kevin rubs his eyes. "I don't know. Maybe I'm over-reacting. It's just been too much coming too fast. I haven't had time to process it all."
The Raven
Missing Some Marbles

Post by The Raven »

"You shouldn't worry about Dworkin forcing you to do something. I don't think there's any action you can take to prevent that. So it's best not to worry about it. I doubt there's anything you could do that he couldn't do himself, so it's not like he has much reason to bother you." The Raven grins.

"It's good to take vacations from here every now and then... I think many of the people here have. I haven't been here long enough to need a long one yet, though. It's probably best to spend a little time in the background figuring out how things work first... but I suspect that isn't your style."
Spellbinder
Missing Some Marbles

Post by Spellbinder »

Kevin grins. "Oh, I just might surprise you on that one. Part of the point of this outfit is draw attention. And yes, when I take action it tends to rather direct. But, I can take the outfit off and blend into the crowd. It's a kind of social invisibility I guess. Then I can act more discretely. Or take that vacation time you were talking about. In my line of work that's one of the most important lessons: you can't do everything and you have to take some time to yourself. There are definitely advantages to the whole 'dual identity' thing."
The Raven
Missing Some Marbles

Post by The Raven »

"Yes, having multiple identities is very useful. In my opinion, it sounds like you'd do perfectly fine here, if you eventually feel like coming back from your vacation."

"And, if you do ever feel the need to get involved in any machinations, I can always arrange that for you."