07.09l: Rights and Privileges

The goings on of courts
misfit
Raving Mad

Re: 07.09l: Rights and Privileges

Post by misfit »

"Ah, but if you're there and there's nothing to leap off of, then you must be flying. That is as a good a starting point as any you're likely to find. Some times we'll soar, other times we'll crash."

"...and sometimes you get eaten by a dragon." Alaror adds. He smiles and shrugs. "You just have to keep it in perspective. It could always get worse."
Joshua
Gibbering

Post by Joshua »

Really? You're going to use a line like that... To start, Asai's finely tuned academy-senses scream danger of the worst kind... Administrators.

Dressed in an extremely well tailored silk and fur coat, Morek the dwarf will approach with his youngest son (Brilh) in tow. "Harrune? Harrune, may I have a word of your time?" He will... not-quite insist... he knows better than that. "About your difficulties, and potential ways around it. I was so upset that it was a dwarf, and worse, a member of my clan, that caused such actions... Attacking your companion was simply disgraceful."

He will smile and give his youngest son* a little nudge forward. Brilh, looks absolutely terrified**, and bows lightly. "Harrune, sir... I..." He will hesitate and get a slight nudge from his father. "If you want, I would like to apply for a position of squire!"

Morek will finish. "You'd be surprised how much acceptance you can gain from having a member of my family on your side."
Raving Mad

Post by misfit »

"Ah, Morek, Brilh, a pleasure to see you both" (OCC I will spare the players another round of the introductions, but consider them done.) "Yes, that was an unfortunate business, but I believe that Morgana has it in hand. As I understand the situation, Osmund is more of an ally of Cameron's. We were merely chatting together at the time. I do hope that you are intending to offer Cameron an apology as well."

Harrune cocks his head. "Squire? I had not considered having one before. There didn't seem to be a need for one before. Given my new status I may need to reconsider that. Of course now is a risky time to ally with me. There are things in the works that could either raise my status in Ht'Gon, or completely destroy it. In the latter case, it would lower the status of anyone allied with me as well."

(In the background Fillane looks shocked at this. Alaror looks at her with a slightly surprised look and whispers to her, "You didn't realize that?")

Harrune continues, "I'm not sure that it would be fair of me to ask anyone to accept that risk right now."
Joshua
Gibbering

Post by Joshua »

Morek shrugs. "Surely you understand how many of those issues I could make go away? If I were so inclined, and I assure you I had nothing to do with what occurred, but as the leader of my clan, I could pull a few strings. Make most of the objections vanish without you having to do more than accept my help. Why, I won't even ask for a position in exchange. Your thanks would be enough."
Veyska
Lunatic

Post by Veyska »

Asai picks some sort of burr out of her tail while muttering under breath in a faintly annoyed sounding voice and then begins paying attention to something else off in the distance, though how much of this is politeness to someone who just barged into her conversation and how much is feline 'You annoy me therefore I am pretending you don't exist' is surprisingly difficult to ascertain. Harrune and his two Cani companions (and anyone else with equal levels of scent detection who might be relatively nearby) will, however, notice that Morek smells... distasteful. It's a nebulous sort of smell, faintly bitter with a touch of what almost smells like sour bleach*. It is incredibly faint and doesn't last all that terribly long (no more than several minutes), wherever it might have come from.

(*Ammonia was the first thing that came to mind, but although I don't know if Asai's... bathroom breaks involve the same odor 'bouquet' as cats the implications would be a bit more than necessary.)
misfit
Raving Mad

Post by misfit »

"You may not ask for a position, but I would be naive to think you wouldn't ask a price sooner or later. We are businessmen, and that is simply how business works. I have just never been fond of closing a deal without knowing what I have agreed to pay. How can I know if I have made a good bargain?"

"Another thing that troubles me is that Morgana has plans to address the issue, but you say you can make it all go away. Bypassing her authority like that could be considered very disrespectful, although I wouldn't go so far as to call it treason. Or am I misunderstanding you?"
Joshua
Gibbering

Post by Joshua »

Morek will shake his head. "Not at all, I wouldn't dare undermine Morgana. I'm merely stating that instead of such issues, I can make them go smoother. Perhaps even make sure your trials are well received, or that you shall win. Not that you couldn't win on your own, just that if there was a proper incentive, your opponents might not push too hard*."

"For price? There is nothing that I would want that would take more than a word** from you. Thus, there is no need to worry about it."
Raving Mad

Post by misfit »

"Ah, I believe I see now. It hardly seems worth the effort for you though. After all, the most I would get from completing the challenge is a minor barony, and perhaps as many as many as three families as vassals. No doubt they will be some of the more problematic ones like the werewolves or the khajiit.* That title really carries less authority than being an Amberite already gives me. In a practical sense, I believe you already have more authority than that."

------------------

*For those not familiar with the Elder Scrolls games, the Khajiit are a race of anthropomorphic felines.
Joshua
Gibbering

Post by Joshua »

He almost sputters, but catches himself. "Very well then. I simply hoped you to have the benefit of my expertise. If that's... how you feel, we can discuss this further another time."

He will walk off... then turn back... "Brilh, come along." he will demand.

His son, who is currently staring at Harrune*, will reluctantly back off.

Post by misfit »

Before Brilh can get away, Harrune will quietly say, "Brilh, if you're really interested in a job, stop by my office tomorrow. I'm sure we can find you something low profile that will be safe."