07.09l: Rights and Privileges

The goings on of courts
Spellbinder
Missing Some Marbles

Re: 07.09l: Rights and Privileges

Post by Spellbinder »

"Well, okay, to be brutally honest 'vigilante' comes a lot closer to the mark. There were law enforcement agencies. We just volunteered to help on an unofficial basis. But one could argue, and some did, that we were just thugs and bullies taking the law into our own hands. We did have a code of ethics and we policed our own as well."
Wyvern
Prismatic Pangolin

Post by Wyvern »

"Interesting that you should mention 'thugs and bullies taking the law into their own hands'... and surprisingly relevant to what I wish to discuss with Ashara. Speaking of which, I would like to get that conversation done before Osmund gets back; if you will excuse me? ...Or any of you who wish to may attend; this is not a public meeting, but it is nothing I would seek to keep from any of you."

Regardless of answers, Alys will now actually head off to the aforementioned meeting with Ashara.
Joshua
Gibbering

Post by Joshua »

"Perhaps you don't understand how a Knight Errant works. Most simply executed those that were found guilty, and while there was some effort to get to the truth, it is about might and right." Kizak will explain. "I mean, it's better than some of the framed executions..." He will pause and realize no one has any idea what he's really talking about.

"Uh... I mean, it's not like they were doing it for personal power*."

Post by misfit »

Harrune scratches his ear. "Ummm...clearly you two are not talking about quite the same thing. I'm just not sure how best to get you two on the same page as they say." Harrune sighs. "This is turning into a confusing day."

Alaror steps up. "Don't let Harrune get to you. Amber is a melting pot of many, many different cultures. This kind of thing is very common when talking to a new arrival...and sometimes even with the most settled sorts."
Spellbinder
Missing Some Marbles

Post by Spellbinder »

"Yeah, obviously not. So to clarify my side of it a bit more. Kizak, you mentioned that a Knight Errant receives authority from a ruler. We technically gave ourselves the authority. It was part of our code. We felt that our superior abilities obligated us to help people who were weaker than us. Also, we didn't pass judgement or carry out sentences. We merely captured the criminals the police could not, and then turned them over to let the courts prosecute them. That sounds very different than what you are describing."
Joshua
Gibbering

Post by Joshua »

Kizak will nod. "Yes, that is very different. Probably for the best, the ones in my home are not very nice."

He will look around. "Perhaps, I should talk to the other dragons here. I'm just worried. If they decided to cause an issue I'm not sure who here would intervene. Lady Alystrakos assured me that what happens in my home does not happen here though."

He gulps, "I suppose I can't hide forever with that. Perhaps that shadow dragon will be around... He was having a snowball fight earlier."
misfit
Raving Mad

Post by misfit »

Harrune cocks his head, clearly still not following everything being said. "Well, we are in Ht'gon so Morgana and most of the other high ranking individuals would object to a guest being assaulted. Looking at it in that light, now might be the best time to meet these other dragons. You would have a large number of formidable individuals on hand to break things up if things get out of hand."
Joshua
Gibbering

Post by Joshua »

Kizak will nod to Harrune. "If it is an issue... Ask in private." Then head off into the crowd.
misfit
Raving Mad

Post by misfit »

Harrune turns to Spellbinder. "I know you're still trying to find your feet here, but I was wondering if I could ask for you help with a problem that I've been trying to find a solution to. Were I faced with this issue back home, we would solve it by throwing large amounts of magic at it. As you may know, magic is much more rarer and more difficult there. Perhaps magic isn't even the best way to solve the problem, but it would seem to be the best place to start. Your very name implies your magical skills, and you have stated that you believe in helping those in need. There is need here."

"Amber is a city that is growing far too quickly. We have new people coming in almost daily. Between the four Courts we probably have a population in excess of one million inhabitants. The city has been growing with no planning and that fact is beginning to cause a great many issues. One that many people don't even recognize as a problem is likely to prove our most serious. This many people create a great deal of waste. Most of it makes its way into the river and then into the harbor. Rebma lies below those waters, and we are poisoning it. We need to find a way to stop that."

"Do you think that you might be able to look into it and see what might be done about it?"
Spellbinder
Missing Some Marbles

Post by Spellbinder »

"Whoa! Wait a minute. Let me gets this straight. You want to put me on sanitation duty?!? Since I got here everyone's tried to tell me that I'm some kind of 'Prince of the Universe', but you want me to be the Garbage Wizard? I've battled demons, demigods and the most powerful villains my world ever knew, but you want me to settle for being a janitor? Seriously? Why don't you just pass some kind of law or something?"