07.09k: Shifting Topics

The goings on of courts
Rasanam
Lunatic

07.09k: Shifting Topics

Post by Rasanam »

After his conversation with Cassandra and Aibne, Rasanam flies over to Odin.

"Hello again. Since our last conversation kindof got interrupted before it could start, I was wondering if you might have some time to talk now? I'm particularly interested in anything you're willing to share about the mechanics of your shapeshifting, since it appears to operate on an entirely different set of underlying principles than what I use..."
Joshua
Gibbering

Re: 07.09k: Shifting Topics

Post by Joshua »

Odin will raise an eyebrow. "Forgive me, it is not often I am asked about something as intrinsic as breathing. Although, I heard that is less common here."

He will shrug. "What do you know about such things? Where should I start?"
Rasanam
Lunatic

Post by Rasanam »

"Less common... let me put it this way: Before I arrived in Amber, I was unaware that shapeshifting without magic was a thing that was even theoretically possible. I have since been given a brief rundown of what your sort of shifting can do - and where at least some of its limits are. I'm more interested in the how, and seeing if that knowledge can be used to help me work around some of the limitations of my methods. Still... if it is, to you, as intrinsic as breathing..." Rasanam shrugs. "Most people don't concern themselves with the 'how' of breathing, so you may not have the sort of answers I'm looking for."
Joshua
Gibbering

Post by Joshua »

"Thankfully, athletes know and understand." Odin will offer. "It is an aspect of Chaos. A gift of the primal force of disorder. Perhaps a lesser gift, but that is the source. Primal Chaos is dangerous, but the amount is very tiny and affords great power."
Rasanam
Lunatic

Post by Rasanam »

"So it's... a sort of specialized reality altering effect? Is there any fundamental difference between that and the power you say you've lost, or is it more of a matter of degree?"
Joshua
Gibbering

Post by Joshua »

Odin will almost roll his eyes. "I would think shapeshifting is more a side-effect. Sort of like how trump and pattern are different. Similar source, completely different power."
Rasanam
Lunatic

Post by Rasanam »

Rasanam continues with several increasingly technical (and OOC irrelevant) questions about the mechanics of shapeshifting. Eventually, however, this segues into questions about the animals of Chaos, how they use shapeshifting (or other abilities), how the environment compares to Amber...
Joshua
Gibbering

Post by Joshua »

Odin will admit to knowing a little of Chaos Cancer* and other ways Shapeshifting can burn out. Mostly a "if some hypothetical friend of yours experiences any of these, let me know."

Creatures of Chaos, will start out with vampires and elementals. And will go into more detail if Rasanam will talk about local creatures. The Serpent of Chaos is beyond what he's currently willing to talk about though.

He is willing to explain a bit about shadow paths and custom crafted shadows but will leave off explicitly saying those are caused by the Logrus.

Oh yeah, and during the conversation, he will head over to the concession stands, and eat about three pounds of food.

Post by Rasanam »

Rasanam pauses a moment at the comment about a "hypothetical friend", thinking back over his questions to try and track down which one(s) gave Odin that particular thought... then shrugs and moves on; it's not really that important.

He's perfectly happy to trade information on local creatures - though unless Odin is really paying attention, it may be hard to differentiate what's local-to-Amber versus things from the World of Wonders. The Serpent of Chaos... he doesn't even know to ask about, really, so it won't come up unless Odin brings it up. The Unicorn, by contrast... Rasanam knows there is at least one unicorn (lower case 'u') that's been seen a time or two, but only has sketches of ones from his home shadow, and wouldn't give the topic so much as a second thought unless it's clear that Odin is showing particular interest.

Shadow paths (and to a lesser degree shadowcrafting in general) he'll pounce on as a topic, though; noting that Amber has some issues with efficiency of trade, and an effect like that might be of particular utility...
ShadowOfPreservation
Lunatic

Post by ShadowOfPreservation »

Lyra will make her way over to her husband as her bipedal dragon self, bowing respectfully to Odin as she arrives. "Lord Odin, it's a pleasure. That last tilt was quite impressive." Lyra gives her husband an affectionate squeeze before attaining a drink from the concession stand. "I'd just been thinking that it'd be fun to be someone's mount next year, though I'd prefer some sort of aerial competition if we can work out appropriate safety measures."