07.09i: In Pursuit of Blood

The goings on of courts
The Raven
Missing Some Marbles

Re: 07.09i: In Pursuit of Blood

Post by The Raven »

"Yes, of course. As long as you don't move too far"

Some time later... Tree-Squid (Now chimp for additional manual dexterity... though tree-squid probably would have been good enough) returns, carrying a rucksack. "Hello again, I always feel so much better after I've made the appropriate preparations. Now I'm ready to trade information."

* - The Raven's goals are (in some order) verifying Alys' story, a listing of Dworkin's "crimes," and probably some other stuff that will come up later and be handled off camera.
The Raven
Missing Some Marbles

Post by The Raven »

"I guess we can start with something easy, like a list of Dworkin's crimes."
Joshua
Gibbering

Post by Joshua »

The creature you were talking to has assumed the form of a giant amoeba. It doesn't form a mouth so much as a thin film beneath two photo-sensitive nerve clusters that acts as a speaker.

"Dworkin, had committed social crimes the likes of which are difficult to put into words. The short of it... He defaced our god, cutting off our leaders access to a greater power. This interfered with the legitimate transfer of ruling power from one clan to another and spun our entire civilization into disorder. So... Treason, on a level I can barely explain. If, the part of our god was returned, that would go a long way toward healing that rift."

He thinks and ponders. "What are his current actions in Amber?"
The Raven
Missing Some Marbles

Post by The Raven »

"He is, basically, the founder of Amber, though not the ruler. He is a fairly hard man to read, so his motives are never clear. He makes the required appearances for his position, and little more than that, but it's clear his mind is usually elsewhere. He mostly keeps to his research. I sometimes wonder he treats Amber itself as one of his experiments, and if he may eventually tire of it and leave...

But regardless, if he had any sort of divine fragment, he's certainly never shown it to anyone. I have a little piece on him in here..." The Raven rifles through his sack. Pulling out a sheet of newsprint*, he hands it to the creature.
____________________________________________________________________________________

*The Raven has a hobby**. (Though not a byline...)
**Alas, the long-form "A day in the life of Lady Alys" hasn't been finished yet.
Joshua
Gibbering

Post by Joshua »

The creature will take the paper. "You may have to read that to me..." he will admit.

If you do or don't, he will ask afterward... "Hmmm... How is Dworkin reacting to the chaos dignitary?"
The Raven
Missing Some Marbles

Post by The Raven »

The Raven will happily translate the article.

"Dworkin received him as a diplomat, and there were some initial negotiations. Odin's free to move around as he pleases, though I'm sure they are keeping an eye on him. The... locals... are curious, more than anything else."
Joshua
Gibbering

Post by Joshua »

"That is interesting." The other will observe. "Perhaps it is the same kind of rulership he wished to have over our people. Still, when you have millennia of culture and conflict, that can cause problems when one abdicates. Especially if one has no heirs or...." He will pause, getting quiet.

"Anyhow, your turn*."
_________
*: To ask him a question.
The Raven
Missing Some Marbles

Post by The Raven »

"On the topic of heirs, I am curious about who is in power now. Or, if things are still in flux, at least who thinks they should be in power..."
Gibbering

Post by Joshua »

He ponders... "Very well, this will cost you, but there's a few parts..."

After a bit of internal debate (perhaps literally), he will begin...

"The old Angel clan has been cast out. They have named themselves Demons as the Logrus will no longer accept them. The head clan is now... Dworkin... Which I think is human, but it's completely absent, at the moment. Changing clans, is a little different, so only humans can assay the Logrus, but none of them seem to exist."

He will pause... "Very well... In order to gain power over the Logrus, it is typical that the new clan hunts down the old one and consumes them. A few have tried eating Demons and walking the Logrus but that has not worked. We think it is because none of the demon clan has logrus at this point. That is not a normal part of the transition. Beyond that... It's a horribly civil mess of backstabbing, poisonings, and war. We don't die easily, otherwise there'd be a lot more casualties. His actions just do not make sense to me."

He will look at the article again... "Everyone thinks that..."

"Hmmm.... Do you think anyone has a better idea of what he's up to? Does he have a confidant?"
The Raven
Missing Some Marbles

Post by The Raven »

"It's highly unlikely, he doesn't seem the type to me. You might be able to pool bits and pieces of what he's told various people together to get a better idea of his plans, but even that's doubtful."

"Of course this all leads to an interesting theory. Clan... Demon hasn't been devoured, so clearly there is some other method to gain the favor of Logrus. This would suggest devouring Dworkin and his clan would not work, either. I mean, the Logrus is still there, so whatever method Dworkin used likely will still work.