07.08g Gated Landscapes

The goings on of courts
Veyska
Lunatic

Re: 07.08g Gated Landscapes

Post by Veyska »

"Speaking of items and potential future clues..." Asai will reach out and firmly take the spear fragment from Alys and set it on a bare patch of ground. The wooden shaft somehow shivers despite not moving at all and then suddenly it is not a broken spear at all but a long line of dust that smells faintly of ozone. A snap of the finger and a gentle but insistent breeze springs up for just long enough to scatter the dust off into the distance before fading away and letting local, more natural winds do the rest. "Also, as for healers, we're at least a few shadows away from where we left - jumping from 'here' to 'there' isn't nearly as informative as less precipitous means - so you'd best either find someone who can cross on their own or else someone who truly wouldn't mind ending up Elsewhere with no way back home."
Draylen
Lunatic

Post by Draylen »

Aibne just shrugs at that. "Walk with me, and listen to my story, and I will find us our Druid," he says, before pausing. "And then Tinder. I'll find us Tinder too. Unless you have a way of making sure he and his passengers are safe?" he asks Alys, tilting his head as he starts walking, a fair bit calmer.
Wyvern
Prismatic Pangolin

Post by Wyvern »

Alys watches Asai's destruction of the spear with curiosity, asking, "You think... Hivers... could have used that against me?"

To Aibne, she responds "No, and we'd best catch up with them regardless - Tinder's mode of travel can be uncomfortable even if you're used to it, and it's a long journey back to Amber by foot."

After taking a moment to heal her arm, she snaps back to her human form* - and then somewhat ruins the impression by taking off her goggles, revealing the green cat-like eyes underneath.

_____
* Aibne - and Asai if she cares - will now note that Alys' clothes are designed to deal with this - while there's some damage, particularly from her wings, it's all breaks along easily-repairable seams, and there's enough underlying structure that shifting back doesn't result in (immediate) wardrobe malfunction. Alys is clearly going to want a change of clothes once she gets back to Amber, though.
Veyska
Lunatic

Post by Veyska »

Dryly, "I think I'd rather not find out the hard way. Most magic I've encountered dealing with sympathetic connections doesn't work very well across the layers of reality, not unless they're inherently connected like a lot of multiplane worlds - and I leave the debate over whether those qualify as layered shadows or deeply linked ones for another time as I'm pretty sure I've found examples of both - but the instances where they do tend to make up for it."
Draylen
Lunatic

Post by Draylen »

Aibne frowns a little, thinking about what she said. "Uh. That's... Law of Contagion, right?" he asks, not unlike a student trying to remember his Master's lesson on fundamental Laws. He tilts his head and considers. "Unless we're not dealing with a magic-based entity. And we might not be - the Rule of Three didn't give it any pause at all. And that should be stronger here, not weaker." He shakes his head a little, breathing out slowly, clearing his mind. He opens his mouth, and begins to walk, speaking the story of Seòsaidh Creag, Druid apprentice, soon to be made Master in his own right by the very hand of Matunus.

It begins on a slow start, speaking of the lad in question, in his forest dwelling. He goes out to gather herbs, mushrooms, and wild things for his lessons - the elements of his Magic, of Healing and Protection, of Potions and Charms of Power. But the forest is not so familiar as it should be - he twists, and turns, and stumbles into a sunlit grove where a great bear stands, clothed in simple clothing, with a sword on his hip and a golden ring on his hand. At his side are two of the true Fair Folk, a lovely woman with eyes too green and cat-like to be human, and a giant cat-like creature that seems mostly bored. The bear speaks, his voice deep and booming. "Seòsaidh Craeg, apprentice to Faolan MacLughaidh. Your apprenticeship is now at an end. The town of Fishguard requires your presence and Magic, to heal and protect itself from the influence of the Unseelie and those who would do it harm. Go now, Seòsaidh Craeg, Druid in his own right, and go with the touch of Matunus!" So saying, the bear places one claw carefully against the brow of the human, who swiftly turns and flees obediently.

Aibne glances at his two companions, relaxing a little. "Well, that seems to have worked tolerably well," he says, nodding. "He should be able to help Fishguard. And he'll be a good emissary to the Kindly Ones, while safe watching for Hivers... I hope." He frowns a little. "I might come back in a week, see how he's doing... Just to be safe. Maybe teach him the fundaments of Sorcery..."
Wyvern
Prismatic Pangolin

Post by Wyvern »

Alys watches with detached interest; once Seòsaidh Craeg has departed, she gives Aibne an approving look. "Well done. I wouldn't recommend returning to Fishguard yourself, though, until we can be sure that won't just attract Hivers' attention."

She pauses, and looks thoughtful for a bit. "Though... if you were to offer lessons in Sorcery, that is a thing I would have some interest in, myself..."
Veyska
Lunatic

Post by Veyska »

"What," Asai says in response to Aibne's speculation, "and micromanage the Grand Quest you just set him upon? Best to leave him be for the time being, I suspect. As Alys said, if any of us are there then there's a chance that hive mind will be as well." Asai's voice is faintly sour, a light touch of sardonic disdain threading its way through, but her posture and expression are friendly enough; draw what conclusions you will but the most logical one is a familiar refrain reality wide - "Cats..."
Draylen
Lunatic

Post by Draylen »

Aibne nods slowly, sighing. "I just... feel like I'm throwing him into something he's not ready for. Even though I know he is - he's exactly what Fishguard will need." He shakes his head a little, huffing. "I'll figure something out. Maybe I can send someone or something. Or arrange for it to take place in a nearby shadow, or..." he starts thinking, shaking his head. "Let's go find Tinder. Alys, I would, but I'm not... sure if I would be the best. I could introduce to Magister Laeryn, he's the one I was taught under. Unless he's away..." he frowns a little, shaking his head, starting to question Alys about Tinder, the kind of place he would take Priscilla and her family, the actions he would take while waiting for Alys.
Wyvern
Prismatic Pangolin

Post by Wyvern »

Alys describes Tinder's method of travel, walking through what amounts to a mathematical abstraction of the edges between shadows, a path that jumps from burnt-out ruins to active lava fields to a blasted battleground, strewn with shattered blades and armor from some group's hopeless last stand against fire giants at least a decade ago...
Draylen
Lunatic

Post by Draylen »

Aibne looks around and shivers a little. "The last stand of the laochra oighir agus gaelach*... To think I see it with my own eyes..." Aibne murmurs softly, looking around the battlefield. "The last push to fight the giants de ghrian agus lasair**... And they won, but at great cost. Not one warrior walked away from this battle. Not one." He shivers a little. "This is a dangerous place... We should not spend much time here. I'll tell the story, if you want to hear it, but... not here. Not in this place. Back in Amber, stationary and safe." He shakes his head. "Where is Tinder?"

------
*Warriors of Ice and Moon
**Giants of Sun and Flame