07.07b: Greek Fire

The goings on of courts
Joshua
Gibbering

Re: 07.07b: Greek Fire

Post by Joshua »

Kizak will nod. "I suppose. Uh... It's... nice to know that there are others here who are civil." He will admit. "I am used to being a very medium sized fish in a tiny pond. I was the administrator of a local fishing village. Well, more like a local deity. Yet, I knew I could very well be in over my head of people found out. I came here because, well, things went sour at my home."
Wyvern
Prismatic Pangolin

Post by Wyvern »

"That makes sense. I've never had good experiences with people trying to treat me as a deity; they always end up either trying to hold me responsible for something that wasn't under my wings*, or expecting me to fix problems that are utterly outside my abilities. Though I imagine being a decent sorcerer would probably help you deal with the second of those types..."

_____
* The equivalent human expression would be "something I didn't have a hand in".
Joshua
Gibbering

Post by Joshua »

"Mostly I was asked to drive off invaders and maybe deal with a local monster. Not too far beyond my ken, and the maidens were nice. But, another dragon drove me away. He was a little younger but had gorged on my kind." He explains.
Wyvern
Prismatic Pangolin

Post by Wyvern »

"Oh, well," Alys brightens up a bit, "That, I could have dealt with. I'm fairly good at fighting. ...Speaking of which, I've made something of an open offer of combat training, starting in a bit over a week; if you are interested, you'd be welcome to show up..."
Joshua
Gibbering

Post by Joshua »

He starts to calm down. "I guess. With a little skill... I wouldn't have to worry...."
Wyvern
Prismatic Pangolin

Post by Wyvern »

"Good!" Alys smiles, and then gets a thoughtful expression - and stops walking just out of sight of the ballroom, "Though... I suppose I should offer you a choice, here: if I show you any favor, I will have to push you that much harder in training - and I do not plan on going easy on anyone to start with. And it would be rude for me to simply force you into stormy skies, no matter how much more rewarding I think you'd find that path."
Joshua
Gibbering

Post by Joshua »

"You overestimate my previous experience. I've engaged in some ritual combat and have breathed steam at a few interlopers." He admits. "I've never actually swung a blade at a person, and I've only used my claws a few times."
Wyvern
Prismatic Pangolin

Post by Wyvern »

Alys shakes her head. "That is not the point; if I thought you had significant experience, I would be asking you to assist me in offering training rather than offering to train you."

"The point is more... politics. If we walk through that doorway together, and maybe dance a bit, and then you turn up for training, there will be people who will think I am playing favorites no matter what else I do. And for that matter, they would be right. The trick, then, is to minimize the number of people who will resent you for it - and the best way to do that is to make it clear that having my favor is not making your life easier."

"Which it will not, even outside of combat training. Greater rewards," Alys smiles up at Kizak, and moves in very close, "always come with a greater price."
Joshua
Gibbering

Post by Joshua »

"I am not sure I understand." He says. "But, I guess... I'm not as interested in the training. I just thought it might help."
Wyvern
Prismatic Pangolin

Post by Wyvern »

"Hm... I think it would, at that. Probably with more than you'd expect. Tell you what - are you willing to trust me?"