07.06h: Underwater Ball (Animal Companions)

The goings on of courts
Joshua
Gibbering

Re: 07.06h: Underwater Ball (Animal Companions)

Post by Joshua »

Osmund nods. "I... already walked half of one... but it wasn't complete." he admits. "I've never actually seen the real one..."

(OOC: To the best of my knowledge, the only one currently familiar with broken pattern is Benebik. I don't think that's common knowledge either.)
misfit
Raving Mad

Post by misfit »

"There are wonders aplenty here. Out in the shadows one can find anything. It is easy indeed to lose oneself in all of that. We are fortunately that the Pattern gives us an anchor...or at least a point of reference. And it helps to have something mundane to help ground yourself. My family helps me greatly in that regard. ...of course how one defines 'mundane' can vary greatly. We all have our own..."

"Wait! What? ...walked half? ...wasn't complete? But how could...is that even possible? Are you sure?" Harrune pauses and takes a deep breath to calm himself. "Apologies my friend. That was unexpected. It is a concept that turns reality as I know it on its ear...again. You would think that I would get used to that after a while."

"Osmund, I am starting a serious study of the Pattern. I would really like to talk to you about your experiences. It may give me some insights. As for seeing the Pattern...I think we can probably arrange that. I will need your promise not to try to walk it for now. I'm not sure it would be safe and I would not have you destroyed by my ignorance. Is that acceptable?"
Joshua
Gibbering

Post by Joshua »

Osmund will look at Cameron... "I-" He shivers and gulps. "Is this happening? This is real, but maybe this is just another vision I'll wake from."
misfit
Raving Mad

Post by misfit »

While Osmund is looking at Cameron, Harrune will look over his head and give Cameron a nod. Cameron should have enough psyche to realize that Harrune means what he says.
Joshua
Gibbering

Post by Joshua »

"If the pattern is as deadly as I've heard, than yes... I can agree to just observe initially. I've waited three years to be real, making sure I don't die in the process is acceptable." He sighs. "I buried the half-pattern in my world under several million tons of rock.... Maybe the Geomicra could move it, but Pich and I haven't spoken in... and, if I do show you, you must promise to bring me back here."
khadjair
Lunatic

Post by khadjair »

Cameron blinks from a momentary reverie, the notion of a broken Pattern (and how it might be fixed) running through his mind.

"Apologies. I believe Harrune is earnest, and clearly knows more about this than I do. I myself am curious but I know little of how these arts work; I'm a bit of a wildling and what is referred to as "magic" doesn't really exist where I came from."

(OOC: it won't take much of a high psyche to catch the hitch where he wanted to say 'back home')

he then turns back to Harrune. "If it would be alright, I did promise to accompany Osmund and act as a bit of a protector. It is not that I don' trust you, just that, I did make a promise and I would rather not seem to be shirking my responsibilities at the first convenience." He rests his hand on Osmund's shoulder an gives a comforting squeeze.
misfit
Raving Mad

Post by misfit »

"I suppose in some ways I am one of the most knowledgeable about Pattern, but only from a practical point of view rather than a theoretical one. This will be a chance to work on the theory aspect of it as well. And yes Osmund, it is that dangerous. I've seen...well just how bad it can be. It leaves an impression. I would rather not see that happen to anyone else."

"I would very much like to see this half-pattern of yours if that can be arranged. It will have to wait until after the festival. I have one trip planned...maybe we can combine the two...or wait until I get back. And of course I would bring you back here afterwards if that is what you wish."

"And Cameron, of course you can come along too. Trust take time and we just met. You would be a fool to blindly trust me. And it speaks well of your character that you value your oaths so highly and are willing to protect others. And you can keep him safe while I'm distracted. Maybe we can teach you a few things along the way as well."
khadjair
Lunatic

Post by khadjair »

Cameron smiles at that. "Good, some formal instruction from someone who _isn't_ Dworkin would be appreciated. I've puzzled out a fair bit in the last 5... well, 5 personal years, but I am pretty sure there's some basic tricks I still don't know. Like how you can spend decades working a forge and it's an apprentice that shows you how to use the flat of the hammer.." He smiles at what is clearly a memory, then shakes his head.

"In some ways I suspect I'm less knowledgeable about many of the workings here than Osmund is. And with powers such as are gathered here, mistakes can have huge consequences."
Joshua
Gibbering

Post by Joshua »

Osmund nods. "I... am also... kind of wanted by the city guard." He admits. "For trying to break into the castle, and a few other things. There was a bit of a clash with the Shadow Striders as well."
misfit
Raving Mad

Post by misfit »

"You've been busy. Dare I ask what else you've been looking for?"

"Cameron, it looks like we may have our hands full with this one. He should keep things interesting for us." Harrune smiles.