07.06a: Underwater Ball (Dance Floor 1)

The goings on of courts
ShadowOfPreservation
Lunatic

Re: 07.06a: Underwater Ball (Dance Floor 1)

Post by ShadowOfPreservation »

Lyra takes note of Rasanam's situation but doesn't seem concerned. "I think I'll go speak with Harrune about it. It's been a pleasure Nemo. I'm sure we'll speak soon." Lyra steps back with a curtsy before heading over to where Harrune, Cameron, and a hooded figure are speaking.
Joshua
Gibbering

Post by Joshua »

The sea-elf is a bit of a mage herself. discussing mostly her shadow magic, and efforts to get it to work in Amber. She's attempting to impress rasanam that way, and is unlikely to succeed.
Rasanam
Lunatic

Post by Rasanam »

Rasanam listens with interest on the topic of shadow magic, but much less on the efforts to get that particular shadow magic working in Amber.

"So," Rasanam asks when the conversation reaches a reasonable break point, "how are the mages organized down here? Do you have ranks? Schools, or a master-apprentice system? How are relations with the city mage guild?"
Joshua
Gibbering

Post by Joshua »

She will frown a little in that Rasanam isn't falling for her charms*, but will go on to describe the Rebma is separate from the city as much as possible. They have a complex set of certifications based on what magic you're good at, and a web of titles that represent most combinations of these. Organization is tight, with mentors being assigned and the focus being on travel, city improvement, and fishing. She's climbed by several ranks over the two years she's been here earning a relatively high title, which allowed her to become a minor noble**.
ShadowOfPreservation
Lunatic

Lyra returns leading Harrune out to the dance floor; taking the lead for the moment and sticking to an easy pace that lets them converse with ease. "So did I complicate that situation or rescue you from it? Everyone seemed a bit on edge."
misfit
Raving Mad

Post by misfit »

Harrune settles very easily into the dance, complete unfazed by Lyra's draconic from.

"Hmmm...that is an interesting question. I suspect that you'd get very different answers from each of us. For me, perhaps both, but most likely neither. I just met both of them, so it would be difficult to judge them completely. I would think that Osmund is that type that is always afraid to some degree or other and I think I may have spooked him a bit more. A little time for him to settle will probably ease relations between him and I. As for Cameron, I think you just walked in on at a bad moment for him. We had hit a sore spot for him in the conversation. Perhaps a bit of time to cool down will be good for him as well."

"So, was there a reason you wished to dance with me...other than because my appearance makes yours all the more striking by comparison?" Harrune asks with a playful smile and wink.
ShadowOfPreservation
Lunatic

Lyra smiles at the compliment. "Flattery is always appreciated but don't sell yourself too short. I'd call you suitable arm decoration for any lady lucky enough to have the pleasure. But I did want to speak with you about an idea I had. I was hoping to establish a welcoming committee to help orient anyone newly arrived. Nemo tells me that Rebma already has such a group in place and their infrastructure to support it is quite robust. I was going to speak with Morgana about setting up it's like in Ht'gon and was hoping you might be interested in following suit. This all came about after my appearance this evening caused our Dragon guest Kizak some discomfort."
misfit
Raving Mad

Post by misfit »

"Hmmm...I wasn't aware that they were doing that. I wonder how that one slipped by me? Ah well...it is a very good idea. It would also help begin to sort out exactly who we have here. I'm afraid that growing so quickly we've let things become very haphazard. I will have to see who we can get to handle that. And did you have anyone in mind to handle Amber? Bah, it still bothers me a bit that the Court, the city and realm all have the same name. It can be confusing at times...and implies one Court is superior to the others."

"And perhaps we need one unified group to help sort people to the right Court in the first place. Since most of Rebma's inhabitants come in by way of the sea that naturally sorts them. The rest all come by the boats or by the roads. When they reach the docks or the gates they are left to fend for themselves. In time they find a place for themselves, but perhaps we can make that easier. And that might be a way to start cutting back on the crime as well. The new arrivals are often easy targets. This would give them some protection until they can take care of themselves."

"Hmmm...not to sound arrogant, but I don't think we need to handle this ourselves. It will been a full time job in itself, and I think we need to be able to focus our energies on the bigger issues. Does that sound reasonable?"
ShadowOfPreservation
Lunatic

"The whole Amber Castle/Court/Kingdom confusion annoys me too. As for who might be best suited to setting up such an endeavor there, I'm honestly not sure. Perhaps Benabik might have a suggestion. And it's not arrogance, its delegation. I don't think we need to handle this directly ourselves either, we just need to find the right people. I'd like to have Nemo have some power here since Rebma has already done exactly what we want to do elsewhere. At least for the setup phase, whomever we choose should defer to his knowledge. I believe they even service the docks as well to help those arriving by ship. As much as I'd like to take care of it for Ht'Gon, perhaps Jiga can take care of it or I can use this as an opportunity to get to know more people. I still feel a bit like an outsider there."
misfit
Raving Mad

Post by misfit »

"You've been here all of...three days? No wonder you still feel like an outsider. Give it some time. I know you and Rasanam will find your niche...or build one. It took me a while, and things were much smaller and quieter back then."

"Yes, Nemo would be a good place to start. I haven't had a chance to see Benabik yet, but I heard he was back. It wouldn't hurt to talk to him, but he's been gone a long time. Oberon would have more current knowledge I believe And tapping Quin for his ideas might prove worthwhile as well. He is the closest we have to an official greeter."

"Hmmm...and I think we'll definitely need an good assortment of people on this. We'll need someone who can knock some sense into the more violent types, but also some non-threatening, empathetic people to help put the more timid ones at ease. I think I may have a few ideas for people to represent Tir'na...but I'd like to have a better plan for what we're going to do before approaching anyone. I'd rather not ask someone and then change our plans and need to exclude them."