07.04d: Orc Camp in Winter

The goings on of courts
Draylen
Lunatic

Re: 07.04d: Orc Camp in Winter

Post by Draylen »

"You've wounded his pride greatly," Aibne points out, frowning. "And what you propose is a thing more akin to a consort than a true equal. While technically you might have that right... Well, I would hesitate to suggest it." He pauses a moment, before smirking. "Although theres no reason... I will go and speak with him. I think I have a solution that will work quite nicely."
khadjair
Lunatic

Post by khadjair »

"Thank you. I'm.. not sure how to fix this. I got wrapped up in events, and... ugh. Thank you." He chuckles. "I worry a little what you might have planned, but I have to trust you on this." He sighs a little.

"Let me get behind a forge. It's been far too long and things mak more sense when I have a hammer in hand."
Draylen
Lunatic

Post by Draylen »

The bear shakes his head. "Everyone here has their own role. Everyone's story is here for a reason," he says, frowning a little. "I'll talk to him. You, go have fun. Show the ones you lead why you're the Craftsman," he suggests, before heading off to follow Kothir.
khadjair
Lunatic

Post by khadjair »

"Thank you, Aibne. you're a lifesaver. It's too easy to get trip over my own feet here." With that he'll turn to the smith who's been with him.

"I'm going to need a forge space for now, and a slate with some chalk. I've got some ideas I want to share that I think will help make more durable tents and huts, and at the same time make them more mobile as well. And I have to prepare a gift for tonight's ball, too." he's got a slightly distant look in his eyes, like he's looking at something that exists on the far side of the smith.

"Also... I'll need a space to build my own workshop and quarters. Yes, I have access to facilities here and in the main castle, and I have quarters there, but honestly... It's best that I have a place here, with you all, my bretheren. And besides... I prefer to be a little closer to nature myself. Nothing will be like sleeping moored in a dinghy under the Aegean sky, but this is a different place and I want to be a part of it. All I need is some ground to build on, preferably..." he ticks some things off on his fingers, " Let's say a large workshop, maybe... 15 yards square? I will do all the outfitting and so on, I just need the space set aside."

((OOC: And now, a crafting montage. Mostly for flavor))

Cameron will settle into the forge without thought, stripping to the waist and drawing on a leather apron. He will begin first sketching somewhat complex-seeming designs on the slate, what look to be endcaps for poles of varying thicknesses - the better to use whatever local materials are available, along with bands that wrap around the middle sections of poles just the same. The real trick is the attachment system - interlocking ratchets that can be adjusted then locked in place, to allow assembly of any pole-based structure by snapping it into place, ratcheting to position, then locking with a metal pin. (OOC: Like a framework made of tinkertoys, but with ratcheting adjustment using toothed gears and so on). he makes a set of these as proof of concept, since he may need them in the interim while he settles into his quarters out here.

He will then draw paper from his satchel and reference a few sketches, then start scribbling more in ink. Where before the hammer bent great bands of metal to his will, now he focuses on tiny, intricate things many of which require a magnifying lens to work with well. More the jeweler's art than the smith, he assembles cogs and wheels, gears and axles, together into... a small songbird. This work takes him most of the afternoon, though the way he works it seems as though he's done similar things before. The device looks almost monstrous with the cogs and gears working, which is when he will look around for a scrap of leather.

Laying the leather across a cold anvil, he lifts the Star, and brings it down. The leather will begin to deform, just as a sheet of metal would, straightening out and thinning and gaining a number of tiny dimples indicative of the work of a smith. He beats the leather to form, then slowly begins to form and shape it, just as he would a metal skin, but in this case made of leather instead. Once he has the thickness correct, impossibly thin to achieve with leather normally even for garments, he slowly begins to wrap the bird in this red-brown skin, then slowly tapping on tiny feathers that "weld" to the leather like metal on metal, until he holds a small songbird in blue and black, two small winding knobs hiding beneath long tail plumage.
Joshua
Gibbering

Post by Joshua »

At least one orc stands by in wonder as Cameron finishes. A few dwarves have shown up to watch the display... all seem impressed by the display of craftsmanship. As Cameron finishes, the dwarves realize they're hanging out with orcs, and make a hasty retreat, but that's more civil than they've been in a while to each other.