07.01i: The Seventh Winter (Table in the Corner)

The goings on of courts
misfit
Raving Mad

Re: 07.01i: The Seventh Winter (Table in the Corner)

Post by misfit »

"Fair enough my friend. Perhaps I should have said the most diversity in a limited space. Rebma does have more 'elbow room' than the others so their various types can spread out more and have less pressure for space. And besides, it is just a theory spun on the spur of the moment."
Rasanam
Lunatic

Post by Rasanam »

"Well, we certainly have the most diversity in Amberites... though that does bring up a different issue..."

(OOC: The issue in question being, of course, the total lack of Rebma royalty.)
misfit
Raving Mad

Post by misfit »

"Ah yes indeed. It would help if Ruben were to come home. As it stands they have no other Amberite to speak for them. In Ruben's absence any of us could walk in and issue any decree we wished. I could try to annex Rebma is I chose, but I have no desire to do that at all. I'm not even sure what to do with Tir'na yet, and I am not so arrogant as to think that I know what is best for them. Besides, I think the lot of you are wise enough to slap me down if I tried." Harrune smiles.

"I think the best we can do for them at this point is to keep any eye out for likely candidates. I am planning on taking a walk out into the shadows after the festival. That will let me start searching. Fortunately the Trump mean that I can still go out without abandoning my responsibilities here. Anyone with a deck can contact me any time. And of course that works for any of us. I do think I will need to talk to Darnell to make sure my family can reach me at need."

"I don't think it has reached a crisis level where we need to make the search a top priority, but it never hurts to keep our eyes open while we're out there. And perhaps the fates will bring us someone."
Joshua
Gibbering

Post by Joshua »

Morgana will think for a bit. "Perhaps, we could declare something about the position of chancellor? Allow her to keep it? or a mandated transition?"
Rasanam
Lunatic

Post by Rasanam »

"Maybe. It really depends on what problem we're trying to solve. Do they need a promise of stability? Do they need to have reason to believe that we won't take advantage of them? We know we wouldn't, and that we'd stop anyone who did - regardless of whether they were in any of our courts, or a new assignment to Rebma... making that official might be enough on its own. I'd planned on talking to Ashara before the ball tomorrow anyway; I can bring this up with her if you'd like?" Rasanam looks between Morgana and Harrune.
misfit
Raving Mad

Post by misfit »

"I think the problem is more about equality. I don't believe any of us here would try to take advantage of them, but we also have other loyalties. What happens if those clash? Having someone on our level how speaks for Rebma first would keep them equal with the rest of us. There is also the concern that they could come be seen as a lesser court...the forgotten court. Again, that's not an issue with us, we wouldn't see it that way, but what about the people in Amber? ...or the people of Rebma?"

"By all means talk to Ashara and see what she thinks is best. She knows their situation better than any of us. It would be a bit hypocritical of us to make a decision of what's best for them in the name of protecting them from people choosing what is best for them. If we don't show them respect, how can we expect anyone else to?"
Rasanam
Lunatic

Post by Rasanam »

Rasanam nods. "I'll let both of you know how that goes, then."

Then he pushes his chair back and stands, "And now, if you don't mind, I think I'll catch up with my wife. Before I go, though, I'll offer a bit of unsolicited advice: Once you're done talking to Morgana - perhaps using these," he taps his trump deck, "if you need greater privacy - you might consider talking to Ossian. He seems to have found a distraction for now, but I doubt that will hold him much past dinner. You mentioned that you don't quite know what to do with your position; I'm sure he's considered that topic rather more than either of us. Not that his plans will necessarily match your style, but I'd expect they'd at least provide... food for thought, shall we say."

"Or don't ask him for his thoughts, and do entirely your own thing from the start. Either approach has some merit."
((Edit: What Rasanam is very distinctly not saying - but hopefully implying - is to make sure you're not appearing to ignore Ossian's advice; if you think that's likely, avoid asking him for his thoughts in the first place.))

((OOC: This is a fairly transparent excuse to depart and let Harrune talk to Morgana in comparative privacy. If Harrune and Morgana have nothing further to say to Rasanam, I'll edit his actual departure into this post. If they do, I'll post again here.))
misfit
Raving Mad

Post by misfit »

"Rasanam, your advice is always welcome. Granted I may not always follow it, but I would appreciate hearing it anyway. You will no doubt think of things I miss some times, and it is always good to have, as you say, food for thought."

"Oh, and when you catch up with Lyra, thank her again for the picture for me. I was a bit distracted and did not give it the praise it deserves."

Harrune will flag down a servant to have the picture taken to his quarters to get it safely secured.
Rasanam
Lunatic

Post by Rasanam »

"Certainly." Rasanam will nod, and head for the table Lyra's at.
Joshua
Gibbering

Post by Joshua »

A servant runs off with Harrune's picture.

Morgana will offer, "Why don't we make some kind of announcement about Rebma at the ball? That will allow us to talk to Lady Ashara and offer support during such a potential transition." She will add, "As for Ossian, taking some of his advice would go a long way. Best that he still feels useful. Which is odd to say, considering how powerful we all are. I suspect he thought only he could handle real leadership."