07.05b: Breakfast on the Waterfront

The goings on of courts
colomon
Missing Some Marbles

Re: 07.05b: Breakfast on the Waterfront

Post by colomon »

"Holy cod," Renny says, flipping out the card.

(That's not quite right, but it will do for the moment, anyway. Or maybe it's wildly off -- is there literally a hanged man?)

She stares at it, assessing its vividness, its reality. "Yeah, we can do this before dinner." She grins. "But let's not go off half-cocked. Let's make sure we know what would be useful first."
Joshua
Gibbering

Post by Joshua »

(OOC: It's based on the card "the hanged Man" The scene is upside-down, as is at least one person on it. There isn't a suspended person, so much as the whole world is inverted on the card.)

Osmund nods, "Of course. We can check on the guard. I could offer some insight into what might be needed. Perhaps something with a desire for justice, or a weapon that can't be turned against it wielder? I'd like to get my Bronze Giant to work here, but it's too complex, too many moving parts."
colomon
Missing Some Marbles

Post by colomon »

Renny quickly polishes off the rest of breakfast. "Let's go check with DCI Carlisle to get the law's opinion of the plan." She throws a generous tip on the table. "I figure starting simple with a small corps of skilled swordspeople is the ticket. But maybe she will have useful notions."
Joshua
Gibbering

Post by Joshua »

(OOC: minor note: There are several "protection" and security forces in the city. Carlisle belongs to one of the few special operations groups that are not tied to a particular neighborhood. They are kind of high paid consultants for when the locals are lost and the investigations are important. I got the impression she knows a bit of sorcery and is a bit like Dresden or Elaine. Does that fit your idea for her?)

You head over to one of the nicer parts of the city. While not exactly lined with noble's houses, they are expensive and belong mostly to merchants and better off families. Her office / residence is a nice two-story affair, proclaiming her membership in the elite policing force and expected hours. She is in at the moment, sorting through paperwork at a desk in her back-room.
colomon
Missing Some Marbles

Post by colomon »

(I was more specifically thinking of Lord Darcy and DCI Abby Irene, but from what little I know (cough tv show only cough) Dresden that may be on the mark too. My presumption was that she was quite good at forensic sorcery, ie using magic to examine crime scenes for clues both magical and mundane, but not particularly good at offensive magic, defensive magic, or ... quick magic, I guess for lack of a better term. You wouldn't want her by your side in a fight, but there'd be few if any better detectives around. If that's okay with you, of course.)

(Also, idiot that I am, I got her name wrong. DCI Carlisle. I need to take better notes.)

"Carlisle," Renny says, coming around her desk to hug her, "good morning. Have you met Osmund?"
Joshua
Gibbering

Post by Joshua »

Carlisle almost jumps out of her chair. "He's wanted for various crimes of disturbing the peace, breaking and entering, theft, and inciting dissension. He's also wanted for suspicion of conspiracy to assassinate!"

Osmund kind of ducks behind you at these. He will admit, "I wasn't trying to hurt anyone..."
colomon
Missing Some Marbles

Post by colomon »

Renny blinks at this, looking back and forth at the others. "I don't know what either of you are talking about. I'm going to take him away from Amber as soon as we're done with this conversation, so he will not be a threat to anyone here. When he and I get back, we'll sort this out."

Renny looks Carlisle in the eye. "I'm going to try to round up a dozen or so people out in Shadow to start to form a corps of elite gendarmes for the city. I was wondering what skills and attributes you think would be helpful for quickly alleviating the current crime wave."
Joshua
Gibbering

Post by Joshua »

Carlisle sighs, and takes your word you're dealing with Osmund. "I think he demonstrates the problem. People arrive here. More than we can easily handle. They've walked from their homes, and have no idea how they got here or how to get back. Some didn't bring anything, they just went down a strange alley and ended up here. Many are rather skilled, but can't break into the merchant's guilds. Some are used to magic, some technology, and neither works all that well here. Most are used to being in charge. The big problem is we have a lot of big fishes and they're used to being the largest in their little bowl."

She looks over at Osmund then back at Renny. "Most of his crimes were because he was dropped here without a good way for him to get a foothold. Although, he has the potential to be truly dangerous, due to magic and strange powers."

She draws up a paper and a quill and starts making notes. "The hard part is telling the difference between those who are really dangerous and those who are simply displaced. Some kind of sense or ability to negotiate would be helpful. And tracking. The city is fairly stable, but there are times when extra locations appear. Anyone who can deal with those would be very helpful. Power, I suppose. That would reduce how many times we'd have to call in the castle guard or an Amberite."

"I think there are ways to detect malicious intent, but would you trust those in a court of law?"
colomon
Missing Some Marbles

Post by colomon »

"So what you really need is someone who can monitor the magic of ways?" Renny looks at Osmund. "I'm suspecting he'd tell me I have the power to find such a person, but I have no idea how to go about doing it. That doesn't sound like a project for this afternoon. How about I table that for later in the week and just go after some capable honest lawmen today?"
Joshua
Gibbering

Post by Joshua »

Carlisle agrees. "Honest and skilled will help*. I'm looking forward to-"

A fairly loud knock interrupts her. Outside the door is a priest of some kind. He's dressed is asphalt black with a cobblestone gray collar. (He's non-decrepitly 5' 10", 165 lbs., black hair, etc...) "Excuse me? I heard tell there's an Amberite looking for help with police. I thought I saw her heading in here."

----------
*: The writeup for Julian in the main rulebook (page 192) has some ideas, including the reminder that you don't have to pay points** for any item or creature you create / find.
**: While paying the points makes it more part of your character, I'm not going to be a pain in the neck about it. Especially for general strengthening of Amber defenses, as Dworkin sorta pays for it. Also, getting more PCs into that will help.