7.05a: Exploring the City

The goings on of courts
Ruben
Needs a Guide

7.05a: Exploring the City

Post by Ruben »

(Original Thread)

Ruben, eager to escape the bubble of Castle Amber and feel the "mood on the streets" for himself, strolls to the carriage-loading station, where he hopes to meet his dining companions from the previous night for a trip into the city.
colomon
Missing Some Marbles

Re: 7.05a: Exploring the City

Post by colomon »

Renny salutes Ruben as she and Osmund ride by on horses.
Joshua
Gibbering

Post by Joshua »

Nathaniel arrives on a horse, and heads to meet Ruben on foot. "Hello. Good to meet you again. I was hoping Lady Alystrakos would be able to arrive before we left. If that's okay." He offers, a bit more subdued then he was last night. "If she's too late, we can leave directions."
Ruben
Needs a Guide

Post by Ruben »

"Of course. While we wait, perhaps you can tell me more about the city's cultural protocols? As you may have noticed, I come from a background where class and caste lines are blurred, where they exist at all. Is there any protocol for who I may speak to, and who is able to speak with me?"
Wyvern
Prismatic Pangolin

Post by Wyvern »

Nearby, Alys and Darnell are fencing - and apparently have been for some time, based on the number of people gathered around them. The blades are real, but the contest is clearly not; every few exchanges - or at requests from the watching guards - they pause to explain some of the moves, or repeat a particularly complicated maneuver at slower speeds.

Alys is wearing an outfit of soft white leather with red and gold trim. Oddly, it exposes most of her back, and the dark red boots seem designed to be easily removable. A heavy cloak sits nearby, dark red with stylized flame patterns. The blade Alys is currently wielding is about as heavy a weapon as can reasonably fit in a hip sheath; a long dagger on her right side is currently sheathed.

Alys takes the time to finish the current demonstration before waving Nathaniel and Ruben over.
Last edited by Wyvern on Wed Dec 26, 2012 4:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Joshua
Gibbering

Post by Joshua »

Nathaniel explains, "As a Noble, you have all rights. You can talk to anyone you want. If there's an altercation, only your version of the story is recorded. You can call for executions of anyone of less social rank than a merchant without reason, and anyone up to a minor noble with a flimsy excuse. A minor noble, one untouched by Amber, would need some form of formal accusation. As for who can talk to you, keeping the previous in mind, it's whoever dares."
"When you've been working on the docks, and helping the seafarers, you decided your rank didn't matter as much, and they relaxed around you. But that doesn't extend to the others."

He looks over at Alys. "She seems to understand a bit more about it... I bet she could guess. Still, you and yours make the rules. Dworkin could override them, but he usually chooses not to. Another Amber noble could countermand an order, and then you two would go through some kind of formal challenge. Usually a duel, although such an issue has not come up yet."
Brian C
Needs a Guide

Post by Brian C »

Trina shows up. Her hair is pulled back into braid going down her back just above her hips. She is wearing a black leather shirt and a pair dark brown leather breeches with a black belt and matching boots. On each side of her hip she has a Sai going through the belt.

"Alys, thank you for the invite. I look forward to a sparring session. Good morning Darnell, Nathaniel and Renny."
Wyvern
Prismatic Pangolin

Post by Wyvern »

Alys sheathes her blade and nods politely to Darnell at the end of the match, before stepping away to talk to Trina.
"Actually, I was just finishing here - perhaps one quick match now? Or we could re-schedule for later, if that's alright with you - I'd been intending to offer Nathaniel the opportunity to spar for a minute before we set out, and I'd rather not delay too long."
Joshua
Gibbering

Post by Joshua »

Nathaniel shakes his head. "I don't need another humiliation, if that's okay..." He will lower his head, not a strong objection, but a reasonable attempt to avoid being beaten up.
Ruben
Needs a Guide

Post by Ruben »

Ruben smiles. "You don't need to feel bad, my friend. Underestimating one's foe is forgivable. Once."

Turning to Lady Alys, he continues, "I must admit, dear Lady, that I am a bit eager to get on with our journey to the city. But I am a fan of the duel as well, so if you'd like a quick match, I'd be happy to observe."