07.01d: The Seventh Winter (Dinner Table)

The goings on of courts
coldcandor
Missing Some Marbles

Re: 07.01d: The Seventh Winter (Dinner Table)

Post by coldcandor »

"Welcome welcome! Oberon and I were just discussing names. Come Nuall, tell us of yours." Solten motions for Nuall to sit.
Solten
misfit
Raving Mad

Post by misfit »

"My name? Hmmm...well the scholars tell me that it means noble, famous or champion, depending on who one asks. Had my parents known what they were getting they might have chosen differently. I fear they find me more ignoble and infamous. Now if people could chose their name at adulthood then their names might have more meaning. They would have even more meaning if we could choose new ones at major turning points in our lives, but it would be so hard to remember what name everyone is going by today.

"So now you know of my name, and you have been generous enough to share Oberon's with me, but I have yet to hear your name my Lord?"
coldcandor
Missing Some Marbles

Post by coldcandor »

"My apologies! Call me Solten." He offers his hand to shake, and continues speaking. "How interesting that your name would mean noble. We had just agreed ours had no relation to nobility, even if they would seem to. The coincidences never seem to cease in this place. Though I'm sure that's just a coincidence." The slightly crooked smile hasn't really left his face since sitting at this table. "It is hard enough to remember one name per person. You are quite right that multiple would be harsh. Perhaps someone could publish a book of names, updated yearly..."
Solten
Joshua
Gibbering

Post by Joshua »

"Perhaps Dworkin's surprise will be like the telephone, with lists of names and ways to contact each person. I hear they publish new lists each year as well." Oberon smiles. "I do wonder... but, I don't want to change the topic until you're ready."
misfit
Raving Mad

Post by misfit »

Nuall shakes Soltens hand firmly, but not in the overly macho "I'm going to crush your hand to show you my strength" sort of way. :)

"It is not surprising that my parents would choose a name meaning noble, as I am nobly born. My father was a Duke. I was the seventh son, so there was no chance of me ever inheriting the title though. But as I've been told more than once, that really doesn't matter here. My old ties are cut and this is a new beginning.

"I am not familiar with this 'telephone', but an easy way to contact people would be useful...and a terrible bother as well if you do not wish to be disturbed." Nuall laughs lightly.
coldcandor
Missing Some Marbles

Post by coldcandor »

"New beginnings..." Solten looks thoughtful. "Yes, I like that idea. Let whatever was past, stay past. I'm sure it's not quite so easy as that, but it brings me hope." He shakes himself and the crooked smile returns. He leans toward Nuall and says in a loud whipser, obviously intended for Oberon to hear, "I don't know what this telephone is either. Perhaps he...," he tilts his head to Oberon, "is the crazy one after all."

He sits back normally, smiling more broadly than usual. "But in seriousness, Oberon, do tell us what you think Dworkin is up to."
Solten
Joshua
Gibbering

Post by Joshua »

"Well, Dworkin is teaching Darnell about pictures that can contact others. Some kind of magic that is real. But it takes a long time to make each picture and a lot of effort." Oberon looks between the two of you and leans in, "When you mentioned a book of names, it occurred to me he might be doing something like that. Pictures of everyone, maybe in a central book in the castle. That way, as long as we're here, we can contact anyone we want to."
misfit
Raving Mad

Post by misfit »

"Well, if they are so much effort to make then one would surmise that they will only be making a limited number. That would mean that only select members of the court would be represented...only the ones they feel are mostly likely to be needed. It would be interesting to see who would be on such a list. I suspect that you would be friend Oberon. Having been here such a brief time, I'm not sure who the entire list would be. The most useful in a court are not always the most obvious. Would you care to speculate on that question?"
coldcandor
Missing Some Marbles

Post by coldcandor »

"That does sound sensible. I too wonder who would be important enough to warrant such a thing. And needed for what, exactly."

Solten notices the group at the fire over Oberon's shoulder. "Apparently the dogs are fireproof here too. I hope the food arrives soon, I could use something that makes sense!" he chuckles.
Solten
misfit
Raving Mad

Post by misfit »

"Needed for what? Well I would suspect it would be for the truly important tasks in any kingdom: 'Gather the army', 'Defend the castle', 'Collect the taxes', 'Smite my enemies', 'Fetch my slippers'...that sort of thing."