07.01b: The Seventh Winter (Fireside Chat)

The goings on of courts
misfit
Raving Mad

Re: 07.01b: The Seventh Winter (Fireside Chat)

Post by misfit »

Nuall frowns thoughtfully. "Hmmm...here's a dilemma: how does one divide three questions between two people? ...without bloodshed that is?" Chuckles. "My Lady, I think perhaps it is we who have been had. Well played friend. Very well, then I suppose it shall be one question for each of us, and we shall have to come to an agreement on the last. Would you care for the first question my Lady?"
Veyska
Lunatic

Post by Veyska »

Asai cocks her head in thought for a long moment before speaking. "I know what question I would ask, but its cost may be greater than I am willing to pay as forfeit at the present. If you would rather otherwise, I will choose another for my question." The 'lemur's' facial expressions are harder to read than most even at the best of times, and her face is a complete blank with opaque eyes as she continues. "It concerns your relation to the origins of this castle."
Joshua
Gibbering

Post by Joshua »

Quin raises an eyebrow. "You've played this game before." It's intended as a compliment, and is accompanied by a smile.

His voice gets serious and distant. "It concerns me that none have cared enough to find out. Surely this place of power is important enough. Perhaps it is because Dworkin has vouched for me in his own way, but I do not understand placing such absolute trust in a ruler who is... who perceives things that no one else cares to attempt to observe. A genius, perhaps, but many of those are locked in a tower and only let out on special occasions." He takes a breath. "I suspect I know your question, and while it has been asked before, I will answer it this time. It seems enough to get this play unstuck."
Veyska
Lunatic

Post by Veyska »

Asai blinks in surprise. Her posture remains unchanged as does her expression, though her ears slant back slightly - the only outward expression of the wariness she feels as she steps forward onto the uncertain ground. "As you will, then. Did you 'come with' the castle? I've always been curious, but others made it clear you declined to answer and there were curiosities enough to keep me happily occupied otherwise. Given how malleable time itself appears to be I was content to wonder for the present."
Joshua
Gibbering

Post by Joshua »

He grins, and says VERY quietly, "No. I am not part of the castle. I found my way here, same as some others."
misfit
Raving Mad

Post by misfit »

"Well I suppose that is a comforting thought. It would be...awkward...to be "part of the furniture" I would think."

Nuall ponders for a couple of minutes. "Hmmm...I am having difficulty thinking of a yes-or-no question off the top of my head. Lady Asai, do you have any thoughts about a second question?"
Veyska
Lunatic

Post by Veyska »

"I confess, I am not thinking of any other questions worth asking when there is a surety of an answer. I would suggest postponing further questions to allow for suitable ponderings, but Quin might not be willing to subject himself to premeditated ambushes when he's already been surprised by impromptu ones." A cheerful glint twinkles in Asai's eyes as she continues. "I would ask if Quin has any suggestions except then he would answer yes or no and thus avoid one further question, so I will taunt the proverbial genie and instead ask - what would you suggest we ask you, Quin?"
Joshua
Gibbering

Post by Joshua »

He shakes his head. "Rulers can accept advice, such is the hallmark of a good one. However, for investigations, one should never trust the one you're investigating." He finishes his wine-glass. "Ask when you're ready, trade them if you wish, but remember, you're rulers..."
misfit
Raving Mad

Post by misfit »

"A clever ploy Lady, but I was sure that Quin would not fall for it. It might have been better to ask what Quin believed Dworkin would ask, but I doubt the result would have been any different."

Nuall takes a glass of wine from a passing servant and take a drink.

"The thought of trading my question had already occurred. In a court such as this information is a valuable commodity, and many would give much for it. I may lack the scholarly inclination to think of an exception question myself, but I believe I may have the wit to make a good trade of it. The fullness of time will judge me on that. Of course Quin, if you are concerned about who might buy the question and what they may ask, you may wish to offer some other forfeit in its place."

"Lady Asai, if I be presumptuous enough to offer some advice. I grew up in a noble court, and though I tried to avoid the politics one cannot help but learn something of game in that situation. I fear I may not be able to avoid it from here on in, and Quin is dropping hints that you may find yourself in the center of it as well. Seek any advantage you can over those around you, for they will certainly be doing the same. Knowledge is power. Gain what knowledge you can, and reveal as little as possible.

"I gather from our conversation that you are a scholar, and so you have much knowledge that I do not. In light of that I will offer you a bargain: I will give up my claim on our shared question in exchange for a future claim on your knowledge. I will not ask you to betray a confidence. I will accept what you already know on the topic and will not require you to search out more...unless you wish to of course. I suppose I will have to trust you to judge what is fair payment in return as such things difficult indeed to measure. Does such an exchange interest you Lady?"
Veyska
Lunatic

Post by Veyska »

The gleam of humor dies out more quickly than it had come as Asai listens to first Quin's and then Nuall's responses. "Even the lack of an answer can be an answer in itself, Nuall, and nobility do not have a monopoly on politicking. A nobleman's legacy is in power and blood, but a scholar's is in words only and they fight all the harder to defend what prestige they can pen or plagiarize. As case in point, I accept your offer - it gains me one further call on Quin's knowledge, and gives me a future glimpse into what pursuits or interests you might have." She gives Quin a smile that is all teeth and precious little humor. "And I cannot help but wonder who is investigating whom here. I attempt to add levity to the conversation but all I find in return are traces of a failed hunt that smell of frustration."