07.12e: At the Practice Yards

The goings on of courts
misfit
Raving Mad

07.12e: At the Practice Yards

Post by misfit »

At the Castle practice yard, a number of guards are out refining their skills under the guidance of seasoned sergeants. There may be a few less than normal, but for anyone who knows that something unusual is afoot this is hardly a surprise. There are a few spectators, but very few on a winter's day. Standing apart from the others is the figure of a familiar dwarf. His solitude is ending when he is approached by an equally familiar anthropomorphic canine.

Harrune watches in silence beside Dworkin for a moment, then he speaks. "Greeting Dworkin. Forgive the intrusion, but there have been some developments that you should be aware of." Harrune goes on to explain about the reports of Lane's god and what he through Pattern Lens. Harrune will then report on his journey.

"So, there hasn't been any response yet that we are aware of. We are getting the Amberites together to discuss the situation. Meanwhile the newcomer who calls himself Spellbinder is trying to distract Lane. Of course your presence would be most welcome, as would any insights you might have on the situation."
Joshua
Gibbering

Re: 07.12e: At the Practice Yards

Post by Joshua »

"It is a strange situation," Dworkin will observe. "Good to know that Spellbinder has made up his mind." He will watch more of the practice that Rolf is leading.

"Oh, did you mean about the thing from shadow?" He will look at this shadow a moment then back at Harrune. "There are enough here who know how it works. I wouldn't worry too much about figuring it out."
misfit
Raving Mad

Post by misfit »

"I don't think he knows he's made up his mind. I suspect he'll try to deny it and fight it a while longer. It wouldn't surprise me if he tries to run away for a bit. He'd hardly be the first. But deep down he's made his choice."

"As for the thing from shadow, I'm sure we will figure it out. That's why we're getting together. Honestly, I find your reaction reassuring. If you had considered a major threat I would have been truly worried."

"Oh, and by the way, as you suggested I have been trying to learn more of the Pattern. I think I've made some breakthroughs, but I haven't had a chance to put them all to the test yet."
Wyvern
Prismatic Pangolin

Post by Wyvern »

Alys approaches at this point, followed by Tinder and Ch'talo. She gestures to Ch'talo and says, "Dworkin, this is Ch'talo. Given prior conversations on the topic, I presumed you would wish to meet him."
Chtalo
Needs a Guide

Post by Chtalo »

Ch'talo will seem a little wary, his staff fully carved by the time he arrives, the woven bark hanging as a tassel from the top. He'll step forward to Dworkin.

"So, I suspect you're at the middle of all this, so you're as good as any to talk to. I am Ch'talo, Hunter of Blood and Shadow, Chosen of Luna." He won't extend a hand, or bow, or the like.
misfit
Raving Mad

Post by misfit »

Harrune opens his mouth to speak, but thinks better of it. He stands back and waits to see how Dworkin responds. The fact that his hand is near the hilt of his sword is no doubt coincidental.
Joshua
Gibbering

Post by Joshua »

"I am Dworkin," he will say cheerfully*. "Nice to meet you, but why do you list your lesser titles and not the important one?"

The training in the background almost pauses as he speaks, cringing for him.

Post by Chtalo »

Ch'talo arches a brow at that, leaning just a little on his staff as he eyes the dwarf. "They are the only titles that matter - they are the ones that are me and cannot be taken away. As for any other..." he looks around meaningfully. "I am hardly here a quarter-hour. It would be... presumptuous" there's a hint of venom around that word, "to assume a title quite yet."

"Quite honestly, I am little interested in titles anyway. Maintaining them gets in the way of what is important. For me, that is the hunt. And that's why I'm here - my prey has found its way down some interesting paths, that I am told you may know about. And how to use this other weapon I've found. It feels like a trap that bites the hand that sets it."

He inclines his head, and looks to the others training, bringing the staff around before him in a restful and ready stance. "So I'll entertain the jest. What title *is* the important one, in your estimation? Or should I ask those who spar?" His smile is all fang, but still some mirth.
Joshua
Gibbering

Post by Joshua »

Dworkin looks almost sad for a moment. "It seems my reputation spreads too fast." A predatory grin finally spreads across his face.

"Chosen is chosen. It matters not how long one is chosen for. Still, what was imparted is incomplete. That might be the danger you feel. The partial fractures were- an interesting development*." He will shrug. "There is only one real power you have touched. You already know the name. Although, if you wish, I will respect Luna enough to state she is... not entirely in the realm of insignificant."

Post by Chtalo »

Ch'talo returns that smile, giving a small nod to the acknowledgement, letting the staff come to a rest again.

"So the notion that the word "broken" comes to mind isn't all that alien after all? I presume this means there is a more... complete manifestation? I can at least call mine up anywhere with the right sand. At least, there's nowhere I've been that I couldn't, even the places where Luna's gifts are more limited. But not all of them..."

As if to prove his point he holds a paw up, and the digits shrink a little, becoming more lutrine and less human for a moment, then he relaxes and it flows back to his standard.

'So... I have been presented to the lord of the realm." He gives a bow of his head, and it's hard to tell how sincere it is. "I was told you would want to meet me - I presume you require a service?"