07.09l: Rights and Privileges

The goings on of courts
khadjair
Lunatic

Re: 07.09l: Rights and Privileges

Post by khadjair »

"What price is that? That once you walk, you will inevitably be drawn back here? That would fit with my experience. After I Walked, from the center of Pattern I threw myself into deep Shadow, just to be away. And for five years I walked. Wandered, not caring where I went just wanting to be alone. And here I am, back here, almost exactly one year local time after I left."

Cameron seems thoughtful. "That could be why he made me walk the Pattern early instead of letting me get accustomed to this place first..."
Wyvern
Prismatic Pangolin

Post by Wyvern »

"Power always has a price. Sometimes the price is small; skill at arms requires little more than time and opportunity to practice. But sometimes the price is high indeed; Pattern is a Greater Power - the only similar example I know of is the Logrus, which cost its adepts a portion of their sanity. That is part of why I do not trust the Pattern - with the Logrus, it was always those who seemed to pay the least that one most needed to be wary of."

"For another example, the cost of political power here is two-fold: The larger cost was paid four years ago, when Dworkin put down a minor revolt against his rules. And more immediately, it costs a portion of your attention to exactly what you say to whom; something as simple as addressing someone as 'lord' or 'lady' might be interpreted as granting noble title where none previously existed." Alys looks over at Spellbinder, "And yes, you should expect that to apply even before you walk the Pattern."

"And if you are interested in a third example, also on the theme of 'local politics', I intend to speak to Ashara," Alys gestures to indicate who Ashara is, "on the topic of guards and training..."
Joshua
Gibbering

Post by Joshua »

Kizak will ask, "Does the pattern have a representative beyond Dworkin? If this is like my home, there'd be a ruler, a herald, a*..." (feel free to interrupt... he's not going to stop**.)

During this Osmund will return from a meeting with Morgana. "Cameron, can I speak with you elsewhere a moment? And Alys, you afterwards?"
*: Almoner, Chamberlain, Chancellor, Chapelmaster, Chaplain, Confessor, Cup-bearer, Dapifer, Doorward, Falconer, Gentleman of the Bedchamber, Gentleman Usher, Grand Master of the Hunt, Great officers, Groom of the Stool, The Royal Fool, Keeper of the seal, Master of arms, Majordomo, Master of the Horse, Master of the Hunt, Page, Secretary, Seneschal, Standard bearer, Steward
**: He can probably name about a hundred additional or dragon-specific positions as well.
Spellbinder
Missing Some Marbles

Post by Spellbinder »

"All roads lead to Amber? And I would assume to its opposite number as well. Could it be that we are already bound to this place whether we walk the Pattern or not? Maybe we're attracted here...like magnets. Maybe walking just reinforces the connection that already exists? Like a lens bringing it more into focus? We could choose to resist coming back, but if we stop fighting then our path defaults to here. That would explain how we find our way here the first time."

Kevin has no answer for Kizak, so he'll remain quiet on that point.
Wyvern
Prismatic Pangolin

Post by Wyvern »

Alys nods to Osmund, "Certainly; I've been meaning to track you down at some point..."

She interrupts Kizak at the first point where he pauses to catch his breath, "I have heard some claim that Dworkin speaks for the Pattern - but I have not heard him claim that, and I would not believe it if he did. And I have heard that Quinn acts as Dworkin's herald... but that is not what you are asking about, is it?"

"If there is an entity that acts as an avatar of the Pattern, it has made no public declaration of itself. Unsurprising, really, given Pattern's comparative subtlety. Perhaps the Unicorn?" Alys pulls out a trump card, face down, and ponders the unicorn depicted on the back. "Perhaps something else, or nothing at all. A thing to think on, at least."
Spellbinder
Missing Some Marbles

Post by Spellbinder »

"So, in theory couldn't one choose to walk to whatever this avatar might be? Of course the risk there is that if it doesn't wish to be found there could be unfortunate consequences. Not to mention that I've heard is said that Dworkin is often considered to be insane. What if it's not insanity, just a deeper understanding? Could we relate at all to whatever might be above him and more 'insane'?"
Wyvern
Prismatic Pangolin

Post by Wyvern »

Alys shakes her head. "Not if it is around here. Remember that moat I mentioned? I have not tested it myself, but apparently even Pattern does not allow you to shift shadow within roughly a day's walk of Amber."

"And for the second... while I would not be surprised if Dworkin did have some 'deeper understanding', he also has Logrus - and too recently attuned to have overcome that price."
misfit
Raving Mad

Post by misfit »

Around this time Harrune (along with Fillane and Alaror) will quietly wander up to the edge of this conversation. On one hand Harrune looks like he wants to speak up. On the other hand he's holding back because either: a) he's too polite to interrupt, b) he's not sure who to talk to first, c) he's not exactly sure how to say what he needs to say, or most like d) some combination of the above.
Joshua
Gibbering

Post by Joshua »

Kizak will listen. "Is this something I should be hearing?" He will ask finally...
Spellbinder
Missing Some Marbles

Post by Spellbinder »

"Well, as far as I can tell it's just a mashup of fairly common knowledge and total speculation. But maybe it is best left for another day."