07.09d: Pecking Order

The goings on of courts
Joshua
Gibbering

Re: 07.09d: Pecking Order

Post by Joshua »

Kothir is clearly looking confused. "Goblins build because they are weak. You aren't weak, but you build." You can almost see the steam coming off of his head. "It makes no sense, but I can't just punch it until it goes away."

He will sigh. "Strong orc should be strong. Strong orcs are leaders, not builders. They order goblins to build; they order orcs to fight. Why woudl you build if you are strong?"
khadjair
Lunatic

Post by khadjair »

Cameron gets a look in his eyes, a distant bit of remembrance. "There is strength in stone and metal. But think of this: If I told you to go to a wall with an arched doorway and told you to bring the wall down with just a small hammer" He pulls out the Star as an example, "and it weren't magical, you could be at it for a long while before you finally defeated it. But by building things, by knowing how they work, I can go to the wall, and with little more than a normal hammer, I can bring it down in a handful of blows*."

He fixes his gaze on Kothir with an intensity that lingers. "Besides. There are those whose strength was so great that they live on in legend. Where I am from, stories are told of Hercules, Samson, Thor, Atlas and others whose names are so associated with great strength that they can be used in place of the word "strength". But millions of people over thousands of years only gave us a handful of these. There are others who are known for the strength of what they built, because it still stands, a thousand, two thousand years later. We remember Pericles, Khufu and Hadrian for the things they built that have stood for thousands of years. We remember Caesar, Ch'in and Ivan for the empires they built that lasted for hundreds or thousands of years. We remember Alexander almost the most because he was not just a founder of empire and a builder of cities, but a leader of orcs. His prowess in battle was legendary - but he built great cities, monuments, and even an empire."

"You want me to be a strong prince. I tell you that I build BECAUSE I am strong, not because I am weak. You do not send archers to harry cavalry; you send footmen with pikes. You don't send light cavalry against an armored division, you use artil... catapults. You find what their strength is weak to, and use your strength there to win. That is not weakness - that is strength."

"And, frankly... if I am to be the prince you all see me as, I must be strong in as many ways as I can. For me, and for you all. I may not be a very good orc, but I promise... I will be a very good prince and make the others see that our strength is much more than they have thought. I will show them we know how to be strong in many ways, and they will recognize that strength."

He takes a deep breath, closing his eyes for a moment, and shrinks back into himself slightly. "Now. Drink. You want one, or am I going to go alone?"

--
* He's oversimplifying the notion of a keystone arch and wall construction, but given the audience it's close enough.
Last edited by khadjair on Wed Dec 03, 2014 8:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
NPC
Needs a Guide

Post by NPC »

The sound of small hands clapping hammers into the air as a tiny goblin, small even for their kind, strides up. "Well said, well said indeed, Prince Cameron. Perhaps the guilds have more to worry about than they believe," he says, with a faint smirk. "You would do well to be a true leader of the Arts here."

He bows, a little cynically, at Kothir. "You would do well to be careful of who can hear what opinions you voice, lord Kothir. Physical strength isn't the only one, especially when a few drops of one of my acids can rend the flesh on even a specimen such as you."

He turns to Cameron again and ducks his head. "I am Thanus Rel, master of acids and glass. A profession that offers as little respect amongst my people as yours yours, I suspect. Not enough explosions."
Last edited by NPC on Wed Dec 03, 2014 8:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Joshua
Gibbering

Post by Joshua »

Kothir growls. "How dare you speak to me like that!" He stands up to meet the challenge, perhaps by goblin-punting. I doubt he gets much past being on his feet, but it's clear he's very angry and about to pummel an alchemist... possibly injuring himself in the process.
khadjair
Lunatic

Post by khadjair »

Cameron has the Star drawn and has started to interpose. "Kothir. STAND DOWN. His remarks, though intemperate, are not lies. The world is different, and I begin to realize it's as different for you as it is for me. Go. Cool off. You have to ready yourself for the Tournament, and bring honor and glory to the orcs. I will make sure this is dealt with appropriately. We will speak of this later." His tone has shifted and he makes it clear he will brook no argument. Kothir already challenged him once... and lost. This has done wonders for his confidence, clearly, in dealing with the larger orc.
NPC
Needs a Guide

Post by NPC »

The goblin has drawn a paintbrush, which drips slightly. The liquid sizzles, melting the grass as it falls on it, as he's staring defiantly up at the big orc. "This brush has been specially treated to last fifteen minutes while dosed in this acid and exposed to air. This is an extremely distilled acid, capable of eating the flesh from your bones. If your Chief doesn't remove your leg, I will." The brush is being held completely, utterly still, pulled out almost as soon as Kothir starts to move. "Put. The. Leg. Down."
Joshua
Gibbering

Post by Joshua »

Kothir will glare at both the upstart goblin and Cameron... then, something resembling fear will quickly flash over his features. He will growl to the other two black orcs. "As you wish, sir. Come on, we're going." Before beating a strategic withdrawal.
khadjair
Lunatic

Post by khadjair »

Cameron turns to Thanus, lowering his hammer. "I am sorry for that. I have a lot to learn about how things are done with my supposed brothers and sisters. Is that stuff really that dangerous? and does it only work on organic materials? How about wood, leather..."

He blushes and chuckles. "Sorry, I forget my manners. It is a pleasure to make your acquaintance. Now, as I snapped earlier, Kothir made me misplace my drink. Would you by chance be thirsty?"
NPC
Needs a Guide

Post by NPC »

In answer, the goblin pulls out a small block of iron and strokes the tip of the brush lightly against it. The metal sizzles as it burns away. "I've used this to create granite statues. I can't sell any of them, because nobody will buy them. But yes. It is extremely lethal at this stage - normally when I use it I dilute it to about one part in ten for fine detail work, or one part in fifty if I'm outlining. Shame about the brush..." He shakes his head, frowning faintly. "I don't suppose you have a fire available? I'm not comfortable with just putting it down somewhere, it could create a toxic pit. And I would very much enjoy a drink with you."
khadjair
Lunatic

Post by khadjair »

Cameron thinks for a bit, then reaches into his pack and pulls out a small metal contraption, a simple flint an dsteel striker. "Is it directly flammable or do you need an open flame? If it's flammable..." he runs his thumb over the striker wheel, creating a mall shower of sparks.

"I'd ask what your poison is, but I worry you might take me literally." He chuckles, but there's a certain wariness.