07.06d: Underwater Ball (Cold Blood)

The goings on of courts
Joshua
Gibbering

07.06d: Underwater Ball (Cold Blood)

Post by Joshua »

From here.

A large, wolf-headed seal with giant fangs slides through the nearby water and into one of the entrances... Passing through the opening she drops to the floor and rapidly shifts into a tall, salty looking pirate. Wearing fairly good clothing, saber by her side, and eyepatch flipped up. She scans the room and immediately spots a semi-kindred spirit in Krajk... Walking up to the wereshark and asking "How'd they force you to be here?"
Krajk
Needs a Guide

Re: 07.06d: Underwater Ball (Cold Blood)

Post by Krajk »

"Contractual obligation, primarily, though the subject thereof has yet to arrive at the ball," Krajk responds.
Joshua
Gibbering

Post by Joshua »

"Similar. We weren't allowed to dock without sending a representative." She will add, "short straw," as an explanation.

There's a blur as her sabre leaves it's sheath and attempts to strike down one of the floating fish. It blurs similarly, moving just about an inch to the side in some kind of dodge. Most nearby people don't even notice as she puts it away just as fast and the blade never actually stops moving. "Security is tight here, and sorcery. Nothing worth taking for the risk."
Krajk
Needs a Guide

Post by Krajk »

"No straws involved here, though I supposed one could be implied somewhat in that I didn't expect to end up standing around at an ostensibly high-class gathering without having the facade of 'bodyguard' to protect me from social inanities. As for security, for my purposes in being here that just means anything that does become my job isn't going to be common riffraff. On the one hand, that means any fighting that does happen will be interesting. On the other hand, interesting fights make for potentially deadly ones." A phlegmatic shrug. "Such is life and so are my hiring fees determined." He quirks one eyebrow, and says, "What brings you here then, if straws were drawn to determine who was sent over in good faith?"
Joshua
Gibbering

Post by Joshua »

"The dock master insisted that a representative of the ship attend the ball. I've never heard of such a rule. It's not like we're..." She will pause, "It's not like we've pirated these waters. And we're privateers anyway." She will look around. "All of us hate balls, so, we drew lots to see who would attend, and I got picked. On the plus side, I get to skip the barnacle removal."

"As for what brings us to this port... It's an ulra-rich port that appeared overnight, but seems to have no natural resources. Of course the mighty Kill- Er, Captain's Creed would investigate such a place."
Krajk
Needs a Guide

Post by Krajk »

"Preemptive caution and psychological countermeasure all in one, perhaps? The people who at least seem to be in charge here seem the overly clever sorts who might think of such a thing and be confident they could handle any trouble that arose from whatever degree of flaunting they chose to use." Krajk seems faintly amused at his nameless acquaintance's quickly covered slip of the tongue, but makes no actual comment on it.
Joshua
Gibbering

Post by Joshua »

"Probably. Still, there are other diversions that could occur. My kind is forbidden from non-lycanthropes, but..." She will size Krajk up. "I am Rachel Saber, if you have time before your duties resume."

(OOC: Worst pickup line ever... Can you pretend she delivers it with a bit more... something... anything...)
Krajk
Needs a Guide

Post by Krajk »

((Sorry, meant to post last night but then spent two hours trying to help Mom book an increasingly complicated plane itinerary... which ended up being virtually identical to the first notion I suggested. Gah... lol))

"Why the restriction?" Krajk asks. "Environmental compatibility? Or concerns over bloodlines?" It's hard to tell whether he's being disinterested, deliberately obtuse, or simply just more curious about this tangential topic. "Oh, and I am Krajk," he will add as an offhand.
Joshua
Gibbering

Post by Joshua »

"The curse is highly infectious." She will pause. "Even in places where it can't spread, if the person is exposed and goes to my home, they're transform. Not everyone can handle it as well as my crew. But, those who are already shapeshifters, are immune."
Krajk
Needs a Guide

Post by Krajk »

"Curious. On my home plane lycanthropy either took effect effectively immediately or not at all, though given some of the places I've traveled through recently I'm a little less willing to take that as an absolute, or was heritable and not a spreadable condition at all. The latter does also confer immunity to the former, so there's that much at least that's common ground."