07.04d: Orc Camp in Winter

The goings on of courts
Joshua
Gibbering

07.04d: Orc Camp in Winter

Post by Joshua »

The orc encampment is outside the fort of Ht'Gon, set slightly into the nearby woods. Only a small amount of trees have been cleared, mostly because the forest contains some nasty specimens if too much is taken from it. Beyond that, the camp is mostly a temporary war-camp. Some wooden buildings hastily constructed, with wooden spikes. Dozens of orcs mill about, clearing snow, building fires, and battling the winter. Not many tourists from the city are there, in fact, they seem to avoid the camp in general.

A small set of orc children are having a snowball fight. Although, the line between snowball, iceball and rockball is getting a little blurred. A few are interested in seeing the ice skating, but that's deemed a little too... fluffy for children.
khadjair
Lunatic

Re: 07.04d: Orc Camp in Winter

Post by khadjair »

Cameron decides after this morning's events to find some measure of camaraderie with his own. So he pulls on a warmer jacket and finds his way down to the orc camp. He may be a litlte more refined than the average, but he's glad to just see familiarish faces. He will enter, nodding to the guards, and provided they let him through, will observe what's going on, and if necessary, offer to help with some tasks here and there suited to his skills. Losing himself for a while in mindless pursuit, perhaps, and hoping to make nice with the locals, as it were.
Joshua
Gibbering

Post by Joshua »

A large orc comes out of almsot nowhere, and claps Cameron on the back. "Hey there. good to see a newcomer. Hmm.... Oh... Cameron? You haven't been here before have you?" He grunts, "Well, let's get you settled... I'll show you around."
khadjair
Lunatic

Post by khadjair »

Cameron grunts at the clap on his shoulder and turns to look at the new arrival. "I'd appreciate that. It's been a long time since I've seen kin, and I guess I may be asked to.. represent us, in whatever fashion, so... lead on."
Joshua
Gibbering

Post by Joshua »

Your host will introduce himself as Grae Lainguror. He knows most of the places, and does stop by a number of food places to sample festival food for tomorrow during the tour.

These orcs are a little more primitive than you're used to. Warlike, shamanic, superstitious... Most of the buildings are made to be hastily constructed and mobile. All of them have defensive spikes as if they expect the city to attack any minute. Most orcs are similarly grumpy, upset they're not in the Ht'Gon fort proper, although they don't want to live in the cave complexes with the goblins and definitely not the dwarves... The logistics of the rest are lost.

There are plenty of forges, preparing and sharpening swords and spears for the games the next day. Arguments are happening about how many humans should be allowed, who will participate in the 'mob football' game as well as what weapons will be allowed (both in football and in general).

Several orcs are sparing with wooden sword, leaving brutal bruises on each other. Others are testing the mead that has been brewed (for flammability among other things). There seems to be some sort of competition between them and the Dwarves over that. One small group is planning on entering moonshine.
khadjair
Lunatic

Post by khadjair »

Cameron wont' be able to resist the urge to.. meddle, just a little. He understands the mobility requirement but seeing it in action.. he'll start talking before he even gets to think.

"You know, these poles work, but you can make things a little better if you make a h inged sleeve... see, like this..." he'll start rummaging through his pack, then pause, looking sheepish.

"I... er... I'm sorry. You didn't ask for my help. I'd like to help out though, wherever I can. It's been so long since I've been with other orcs who weren't actively trying to kill me. Seriously, not in a friendly fashion."

"And I get wanting to have your own place... Do you think you'll want to be staying out here always? If so... I can talk with Morgana. I think it would be best if we incorporated the camp as a proper district in the fortress proper... And I can try and make that happen, but only if that's what you'd want, as a group."
Joshua
Gibbering

Post by Joshua »

Grae will ponder for a bit. "I suspect we'd want a walled encampment. It has been a while. We are used to burning and moving on. This place... is dangerous enough that we cannot do that... Plus, about half of those who have arrived are into a 'one-with-nature' belief. There are a lot of strange ones here. As for the hinges... You will have to talk to the smiths... To be honest, we are unlikely to move for a while."
khadjair
Lunatic

Post by khadjair »

Cameron lights up at that. "I've got some.. experience with siegeworks, on both sides of the cannon. And I can go talk to the smiths... These hinges are simple enough to make and I think they'll help both here and beyond. And if we do have druidic sorts here, well... we'll need to keep the forest cleared to a catapult's range but no further."

He grins wildly. "We should be proud and show what -we- can do. Not just move into caves and behind an existing wall, we can do better, show them we're a power to be respected, too."
Joshua
Gibbering

Post by Joshua »

There is not very many engineers... so... discussions will be technical, and a bit boring. Some are skeptical, thinking you sound like a dwarf, but most are willing to listen.
khadjair
Lunatic

Post by khadjair »

Cameron will be at this for a while. The proper foundations for walls, how to work the things that they hold dear in - trees, water, pens, whatever they feel is needed to live as -they- choose. He wants to help them make a home here that is theirs, not to just assimilate.

(OOC: Cameron's history has him from a situation very much like pre- to during Potato Famine in Ireland. He's going to take self-determination pretty seriously)