07.02a: Moonlight Walk

The goings on of courts
Joshua
Gibbering

07.02a: Moonlight Walk

Post by Joshua »

(The following takes place in Tir-Na Nog'th, thus is included as a sub-thread of the other Tir-Na Nog'th thread.)

The hanging gardens, or perhaps floating gardens, of Tir'Na Nog'th are wondrous to behold. Set atop a dozen or so large, and a handful of smaller, floating stone platforms with no visible means of support, with rail-less stone staircases that run between them (also unsupported), the gardens are filled with flowers and wondrous plants that are blooming despite the cold and nighttime in many colors, some literally glowing under the moonlight. The whole of the garden itself is nestled into what would be the courtyard of the keep, so that only the topmost platforms peak out over the outer walls. On a night like tonight, with the moon out and nearly full, the topmost platform (with the pattern) is mostly solid, rolling in and out of existence every few minutes as a cloud passes by or just because.

This particular platform is bowl-shaped, with winding paths of floating stepping stones crossing a pool dotted with reeds and lilies, illuminated from below by schools of glowing goldfish. A central larger platform contains several benches for sitting as well as a small formation where water falls from an above platform, creating what is otherwise a multi-tiered circular fountain.

(Harrune was going for a walk before meeting Dworkin, hopefully this will get you unstuck.)
misfit
Raving Mad

Re: 07.02a: Moonlight Walk

Post by misfit »

Two figures walk slowly through the garden talking quietly.

"...and so Fillane, it would seem that I have chosen as ruler of Tir'na Ng'oth. I'm not even entirely sure what that means at this point since there has never been one before. I suppose we shall have to make it up as we go along."

"I'm so proud of you my husband. I wasn't even aware that you were choofing for the title."

Harrune chuckles. "Neither was I. It is maddening. I don't know why I was chosen. What was the contest? Impressing Dworkin? If so, I have no idea how I did it. How can I prepare to defend against challenges for the title if I don't know what the criteria are?"

"Perhaps you could talk to Dworkin? Surely he could explain?"

"But would I be able to understand his explanation? The man can be quite difficult at times. Some say he's mad, but I personally think he has a wisdom beyond our comprehension." He glances towards the tower. "Lyra was going to have a talk with him. I have not seen her come down yet, so perhaps when she is done I should at least try. Even if I don't understand most of what he says I may still gain some insights. Any clue of what's expected of me would help. Maybe it's just..."

Two sets of ears prick up and the two Cani look to see a third running through the garden towards them. They glance at each other and simultaneously say, "Alaror" and laugh. Fillane adds, "We should have known he'd pop up as soon as he heard the news."

"Indeed."

The figure runs up and grabs both of them into an embrace. "Hello sister! And Harrune! Is it true?" He pauses and cocks his head. "It is true...but you're not happy about it?"

"I'm still too surprised to know if I'm happy about it or not."

Fillane asks, "How did you know where to find us little brother?"

"Well I got the word, and I rushed to the banquet. You had already left. People said Harrune was wasn't looking overly happy when he left, so I knew he would be here. He goes home to celebrate, but he comes here when he needs to think. This is his center...or perhaps up there," he says, glancing at the platform for the Pattern.

Harrune hugs him tighter. "When did you become so insightful?"

(OCC: I'm pausing for a bit here. Someone can show up and interrupt, or I can continue a monologue..which you're all welcome to ignore. ;) )
Veyska
Lunatic

Post by Veyska »

A familiar form comes into view from around the central fountain and rises up onto two legs to bob a friendly greeting at the three Cani. "Your pardons for interjecting, but perhaps in this instance you, ah, 'choofed' for leadership by being someone who was capable of filling the position who wasn't 'choofing' for it. Beings act differently, after all, when they think they're being judged or compared, at least most do. Powerful as many of us are, that alone can't be the sole criteria for leadership and I would trust in loyalty over pride. Both can be wounded and subsequently assuaged, but the latter looks for excuses while the former makes them and forgives the reasons." Asai twitches her muzzle in a wry grimace. "For the now I would simply continue being you, just on a larger moreso scale, if that makes any sense. I do not think changes of leadership are likely very often, if at all on anything resembling a relevant timescale, if nothing else because Dworkin would get annoyed at constantly having to redraw Trump cards." A toothy grin accompanies this last comment.
Joshua
Gibbering

Post by Joshua »

"We're built to be judged and compared. Our creator specifically choose us for that goal." Alaror will state, slowly pulling out of Harrune's arms. "Cani are about such things. Dworkin clearly is also, but is capable of stating he is not."
misfit
Raving Mad

Post by misfit »

"To be judged, to connect to others, and for loyalty. Yes, those are what we were made for, and Reluu made us well. Maybe that's what Dworkin is looking for: someone to bring the different factions together rather than to rule from on high. I think you may be right at that Asai...I need to be as Cani as I can be."

"Oh, and by the way, I don't recall if you have all been introduced. Asai, this is my wife Fillane and her brother Alaror. This is Asai. If there is a better scholar in Amber, I have not met them."

"Thank you for your insights Asai. They are helpful. Your advice will always be welcome. I can't promise I'll always follow it, but I will always be happy to listen. I find myself thinking that we should form a council to manage the affairs of Tir'na Ng'oth. Of course I'd like you to be a part of that. ...and of course the other Amberites...and some of the lesser nobles as well. We can always add more later as we find what we need. Does this sound like a reasonable plan to you?"
Veyska
Lunatic

Post by Veyska »

"I'd be worried if you did follow my advice all the time. I'm a cat and a scholar and a sorcerer and a former wizard's apprentice. It's in my nature by blood and upbringing to stick my nose into things and cause trouble by extracting the truth from places others might not want it found. That's quite frequently not something a leader should be doing, at least not as a main focus. I'm quite glad Dworkin chose someone else for the job, now I can sagely whisper things in your ear and then scamper off to indulge my curiosity while you go do leader-like things." She grins cheerfully as she says this, eyes sparkling. "And I would be happy to be on a council. I can even volunteer to take minutes, I think I finally solved the troubles I was having with simultaneous speakers for that particular spell..."

A grimace now, this one slightly sour. "As for other troubles, I do not think finding some useful position of power for a certain fellow court member will keep him from causing trouble, but I do think it will keep him from causing as much trouble. Nor do I think he is liable to cause serious troubles, if nothing else because Dworkin might step on him, but..." The silent laughter returns as she continues, "Faintly guilty though it makes me feel to say this, better you than me to deal with him. You're more used to people chivvying for position and I'd be liable to drop books, figurative or literal both depending on how annoyed I was on a given day, on his head to get him to at least stop bothering me personally."
Joshua
Gibbering

Post by Joshua »

"Sounds like you got promoted over a Zi-Ri." Alaror will offer and will go to scritch Harrune's fur but stop himself. "Well, I think you know how I would suggest dealing with him. Is this the Ossian who kept asking... Oh dear. Well, yes, that method might still work."
misfit
Raving Mad

Post by misfit »

"Thank you Asai. That would be very helpful."

"As for the fellow court member, you might be surprised how much trouble one can stir up without seeming to. If he truly wishes to, he can make things very difficult indeed. He could also be a weak point if someone on the outside wished to cause strife among us. Hopefully I can manage to focus his energies into something positive. If not it could be ugly at times. We shall see."

He turns and gives Alaror a sardonic look. "And when exactly did you try that with a Zi-Ri? It might work...but not sure it's the best way to go. I will have to think carefully about that."
Joshua
Gibbering

Post by Joshua »

Alaror will flatten his ears and dip his head, mumbling something about a court mage and promotions, and it's not his fault and that was before you met and.... (Yay! the 500m backpedal.)
Veyska
Lunatic

Post by Veyska »

Asai chuckles at the byplay and then says, "There's trouble and then there's trouble and then there's blowing up half a city. I was mostly just pointing out that giving him a useful distraction may lessen both quantity and magnitude of the trouble we both know he's going to cause anyhow." Her smile gains a faintly nostalgic air as she continues, "A favorite practice of professors back where I grew up, when dealing with troublesome students who were either intelligent enough to be worth the effort or too connected to be worth brushing off entirely, was to dump some a large pile of useful busywork on them. Gives the student something to occupy their time and gets them out of the professor's hair for a little while and with any luck benefits both parties when all is said and done." Another faint chuckle, and then, "It also provided professors with some degree of amusement, watching students try to figure out whether this was useful busywork or just busywork, but I don't know that that quite applies here."