07.03: Shadow of the Mountain

The goings on of courts
Draylen
Lunatic

Re: 07.03: Shadow of the Mountain

Post by Draylen »

Aibne ducks his head a little as his name gets mentioned, a cheer erupting from several of the crowd after Morgana finishes. A number of the higher-ranked members of the Shadow Striders are clearly in the throne room, quick to congratulate the bear on his achievement, though they are separated by their races.
Wyvern
Prismatic Pangolin

Post by Wyvern »

Alystrakos looks around*, head held high, taking mental notes on who looks particularly dangerous. Tinder trots along at her side, tail wagging cheerfully, as if a crowd full of hostile orcs made for the bestest dog toy ever and he was just waiting for permission to play...

_____
* As an incidental side effect, this means anyone who's paying attention has at least a chance to notice that Alys' eyes are definitely not human.
The Raven
Missing Some Marbles

Post by The Raven »

It should be noted that the Raven is no longer perched on Tinder (that would be rude.) Instead, he's perched in the rafters, like any good Raven. The Raven finds the crowd much more interesting than any of the crowds that assemble in Amber, but is otherwise uninterested in such ceremonies.
ShadowOfPreservation
Lunatic

Post by ShadowOfPreservation »

As Morgana speaks, Lyra surveys the room, taking particular interest in the dark elves and making a note to speak with them later. It strikes her for the first time in seeing all of the races of Ht'Gon gathered like this, that the Dwarves, if they are anything in temperament to those from her Home, are likely having the hardest time here interacting with so many other "traditionally" evil races. Lyra is careful to note whom among them seems like their leader so she can seek him or her our later as well.

When announced, Lyra will curtsy formally to all in attendance. At the mention of her Husband's name, her eyes automatically seek out his and she smiles at the strength his presence lends her.
khadjair
Lunatic

Post by khadjair »

Cameron freezes for a moment, looking out at the cosmopolitan gathering, and hears his name spoken. For a moment he's remembering... somethign else. A similar sort of gathering, similar divisions, except it was the Turks on one side, and the French and the British on the other. Then he looks and realizes how.. alien this is, and takes comfort in that. He smiles and stands up straighter, looking to the crowd. These are, for better or for worse, his people.
Joshua
Gibbering

Post by Joshua »

"Now, Dworkin has deemed to assign positions to some of us. I was named Ruler of Ht'gon An-rit." There is a small cheer from a number of the group. One or two growls, but they are quickly drowned out. "The newcomer, Lyra, has been named as Guide." Morgana will thumb through her deck. "I think... that's intended to be kind of like a queen..."

"Hell no!" A large ogre bellows, "If you are to rule, I, Grind, Bonebreaker of the Grendel tribe, will be by your side! I challenge, for her position as royal consort and rank!" He immediately has every orc in the room take two steps back form him. This ogre is much leaner than Morgana, thin wiry, almost troll-like muscles and dangerous inch-long claws.

There is a little bit of a stunned silence, both at the challenge and the implication about Morgana and Lyra... and the ogre marriage proposal*...

(OOC: This will quickly spin off into a sub-thread, but not yet.)
Lunatic

Lyra's normally cheerful demeanor fades with the interruption into one somewhere between annoyance and determination. She gives Rasanam's hand a squeeze before stepping forward. "Just so you know, my position isn't royal consort. It's Guide, as Morgana said. If you wish to court Morgana you'll need to take that up with her. As for your challenge..." Her deep purple eyes brighten as they take on a clearly reptilian appearance and bore into the ogre. "Grind, is it? I'm sorry I haven't had the occasion to speak with you though I've been here for a short while now. I believe I have little choice but to accept your challenge. But I'll not have you unprepared and give others reason to dispute my victory when I win so I'll have you know whom it is you face. My name is Lydre-Altherin Lyra and the blood of Dragons runs in my veins. If it's a fight you want, I'll give it to you. But I promise you than you will not take my position from me. Ht'Gon and her people are too important to me to put anything less than my all toward her protection and prosperity."

Challenge accepted, Lyra steps back with a glance to Alys and Morgana before taking Rasanam's hand once more. While she remains outwardly calm and collected, through that touch Rasanam can tell her heart is racing from the encounter.
Joshua
Gibbering

Post by Joshua »

Morgana will intercede. "It is decided! In the challenge between Grind and Lyra: if Grind wins, he will take the position of royal consort; if Lyra wins, Grind will accept her as Guide of Ht'Gon."

A murmur runs through the crowd, as a circle forms in the gathering of orcs, with Grind at the center. This is briefly disrupted by the troll throwing one of the redcaps into the ring. The redcap is very high-elven looking, with chizzled features and platinum-blonde hair, wearing a well tailored tunic, a dyed red cap (with blood, if you're checking), and a white cord wrapped around his left wrist.

The troll demands, "Repeat it so she can hear you!"

(OOC: I'm not expecting people to interrupt, but if you wish... I can remove the second part of this.)

The redcap stands up slowly, dusts himself off and glares, before turning to the balcony. "I said: 'She's a shapechanger. I didn't think any of the ladies there would be willing to fight in their dainty, fragile forms, and I wouldn't have any interest in a lady who would cower behind a war-form!" His gaze will travel between Alys and Lyra. "Not worth my hat...*"
Lunatic

Post by khadjair »

Cameron shakes his head and steps back, hand coming to rest near the hilt of his hammer. He mumbles quietly, "I didn't expect the backlash to be quite so quick..."
ShadowOfPreservation
Lunatic

Lyra places a hand on Cameron's shoulder and gives a slight smile. "It's OK. I was expecting something like this though maybe not quite so soon. Still, it's probably best to get this out of the way up front anyway." Her attention then turns to Morgana. "I'm afraid I'll need to have the rules of engagement explained to me. I've never been challenged to a fight before."

(Part of the point of this is to give her a moment to study Grind, try to get a feel for him)