07.02b Sufficiently Advanced (More than one type of Orc)

The goings on of courts
misfit
Raving Mad

Re: 07.02b Sufficiently Advanced (More than one type of Orc)

Post by misfit »

Before they get three steps across the room, Nuall is on his feet with his sword in one hand and dagger in the other. He steps in to meet and greets the first with a slash across the neck. He dodges the attack of the second and thrusts his blade into the orc's left eye. He steps back as they both fall.

"Hmmm...if this Lord Mosh isn't more formidable the others should be back very shortly indeed."

He turns to the red orc. "As you and your minions leave, be so good as to drag that trash out of here, would you?"
Joshua
Gibbering

Post by Joshua »

The red orc whimpers, and the orcs dutifully clean up and run for their lives.

The innkeeper is a little less afraid, but offers his best fare for you. "Mosh is a dragon. He killed all the knights and would-be kings in the past few years. There's not a lot left to face the orcs, although with the knowledge they can be beaten, perhaps some will rise up."
misfit
Raving Mad

Post by misfit »

"Perhaps? Some? Will it be enough? ...and what happens if it isn't?"
Joshua
Gibbering

Post by Joshua »

"If a symbol could rise. Someone brave enough, I think it would be enough." He looks at you hopefully. "If you could stay, that would be helpful."

(OOC note: or you could step a few shadows away, grap the 5th son of some monarch who wouldn't mind being uprooted for a chance at a kingdom of his own.)
misfit
Raving Mad

Post by misfit »

Nuall sits back and starts musing to himself. "He thinks it will be enough...that means that he believes they are in for a bloodbath without a leader...and perhaps even with one. ...and he thinks that I could make a difference. When did this become my problem?" Nuall sighs. "When we dropped in uninvited, someone stirred up a hornets nest and then went off to play leaving me holding the bag. I cannot see any reason they would have intentionally set me up, but if not, why did they leave me behind? What do I really know about any of them?"

"Well, I could just walk away. From what Oberon says I could walk out that door and leave all of these problems where they won't be able to follow me. That would be the most sensible thing for me to do. This isn't my problem. ...or it wasn't until I jumped in and fought those thugs. If things go bad that makes this inn a bigger target. I suppose that does make me somewhat responsible. Me? Responsible?" Nuall shudders.

"So, what do I do about it? The plan was for us to only be away for a week, so I will need to be leaving. ...or will I? Do I really need to go back? What is there for me really? People were trying to tell me I was important, but no one could really tell me how. So, even if I am important to them, is that important to me? Then again, do I really want to stay here? I have yet to see anything that would make this place special enough for me. I certainly have no desire to be their hero and then carve out a kingdom of my own. Well, a hero's welcome could be fun, but the kingdom is just too much work."

Nuall signals for wine and ponders for a while. At last he comes to a decision. He waves the innkeeper over.

"Alright, we know that a fight is coming, correct? Get the word out to the people. Tell those who are willing to fight to arm themselves. I need to leave, but I will be back to help out shortly."

Nuall steps out the door and starts to think. "I need someone with some military training ...well a military genius would best, but he would need personal skill at arms as well. And he would need to have the skills to rule afterwards. That sounds like the son of a noble...a younger son who would be willing to leave to carve out a realm of his own. A natural leader who these people could accept and that can inspire them. Someone they would all recognize as the leader they need to save them...who can actually do the job. So, I just need to find him. Oh, and I need to do that thing about time so not much time will pass here while I'm gone. Now to see if what Oberon has been telling me is really true." Nuall starts walking...
Joshua
Gibbering

Post by Joshua »

(OOC: When walking to a "shadow of desire" like this, you have near total control over where you go and what you find. Since you have the power, feel free to literally walk up to whoever you want. You'll find exactly what you hope for.)

It's only a short trip from the town, to a village, to a village in front of a castle, to a "mysterious tavern" filled with "adventurers" and perhaps hidden princes. The walk also causes you to trip over the "old man's hood and cloak".
misfit
Raving Mad

Post by misfit »

Nuall walks into the tavern and looks around. He quickly spots one figure that stands out, apparently a young nobleman, and walks right over to him. "Forgive my lack of manners my Lord, but time is short. My name is Nuall, and you would be...?"

The man looks mildly confused and responds "Balduin. What is this about?"

"You're not satisfied with your life are you? You want to be a hero, to lead people, and to rule a realm of your own, don't you?"

Balduin looks even more confused. "How could you have known that?"

"Consider me a servant of destiny. I know of people who are in of a hero to protect from their enemies and to rule over them. You are the one they need. Time is short. We must leave now. Are you with me?"

"But..."

Nuall grabs his arm. "Excellent! Let's go!" and pulls him out of the tavern. "Now follow me".

Nuall starts to think about what they'll need on the way back and then grabs Balduin by the hand and starts walking. Along the way the come to two warhorses. Nuall turns to Balduin. "The white one is your's, the black is mine. That's your armor there, and sword and bow as well. Let's get our armor on and then get moving again." He doesn't give Balduin time to argue. The gird their armor on, mount their horses, then Nuall grabs the reins and leads them back to the inn.

When they get there, Nuall leads Balduin into the inn and introduces him to the innkeeper. "Here is your symbol. Now where do we stand?"

OCC They both have very ornate but well-constructed plate armor that is polished until it shines. The weapons are also ornate but very well made.
Joshua
Gibbering

Post by Joshua »

It's likely around nighttime by this point. The innkeep's jaw drops as you arrive. "What?" he says along with Balduin.

What follows is a short but detailed recap of the immediate situation and the need for a hero against the orcs. Balduin is not bad as this sort of thing and takes to it in short order. If needed, you can help him get fully up to speed and help him with some initial plans and setup. You picked someone who seems up for the task, and word starts to spread, even though the hour is late.
misfit
Raving Mad

Post by misfit »

Nuall will definitely help with the planning. He'll make it clear that he can't stay for long. He's due back in Amber in a week in this shadow's time and he suspects that he'll be back there whether he like it or not. He won't let people believe he'll be there long term and then just vanish. He's also ready to help with the fighting while he's here (which is why he got armor and weapons for himself as well).

Between the two of them, Nuall and Balduin should be able to get things well started in short order. The big question now is how long do they have to prepare?
Joshua
Gibbering

Post by Joshua »

(OOC: looks like about time to remerge the threads. That's here.)

Light skirmishes will start in a day or two, well after the others get back. People are becoming mobile, and a makeshift militia is being formed. Balduin is looking to take a nearby castle for a proper base of operations. (Which is possible to do on here, or can be glazed over. Nothing else in the shadow really can threaten you.)