Renny

Names, Appearance, Reputations
colomon
Missing Some Marbles

Renny

Post by colomon »

Ranait (more usually called "Renny") is 5'8", with an healthy athletic build -- she is no stranger to hard work, and clearly spends a lot of time outdoors. Her blonde hair falls to her shoulders, and is frequently done in a pony tail. Her bright green eyes usually shine with excitement. It's rare to see her without a small scar healing somewhere.

Renny is the perpetual optimist, full of energy and enthusiasm, especially for new and novel adventures. It would be easy to dismiss her as a frivolous airhead, but those who have paid attention will note there is definitely more to her. She is a terrific listener, and usually very insightful when the subject is not herself. She is quick to sing, and has a knack for making catchy songs mocking a person.

She was one of those Dworkin dragged in and threw on the Pattern in the Year 4. She disappeared for about a year afterward, but has been making regular visits to Amber in the last year or so. She seems to have very little feel for the currents around town, be they matters of fashion or politics. She is always open and friendly.

Card:
The Guide of Swords. (When questioned about this, Renny grumbles that Dworkin has absolutely no idea what he is doing.)
Viewed in profile, Ranait sits on a throne with a stern, wise look on her face and a crown on her head. One hand holds a sword pointing straight up, the other hand she holds open, as if inviting someone to speak. In the distance behind her, a lonely lighthouse towers over a rocky shoreline, while above a puffin soars in a clear spring sky. Looking at the picture, you almost get a whiff of the salt breeze off an ocean. Reflected in the top of the lighthouse is a faint set of blue lines, a hint of the pattern.

Stats:
Psyche: Renny shows no sign of intentional psyche skills, but her powers of observation, the impact of her singing, and her keen sense of danger suggest she is mid ranked.
Strength: She is not fragile, but neither is she a great strength. Low ranked.
Endurance: She seems hard to slow down. Mid ranked.
Warfare: She doesn't give the impression of thinking of herself as a warrior. But she is not afraid to fight, seems handy with any weapon, and is a fair hand at strategy. Mid ranked.

Renny is definitely lucky.

Talents:
Satire: Renny has a knack for writing cutting songs that are catchy enough to rapidly become popular.
Observer: She is very good at paying attention to what is going on around her and pulling out the important nuances.
Danger sense: Renny seems to react to physical danger almost before it happens.
Pilot: Renny is a fair hand piloting wind-powered vehicles like sailing ships and dirigibles.
Improvising: She is very good at making do with whatever is handy.

Quirks:
Rash: Renny tends to jump into things first and think about the consequences much later.
Unexamined Life: Her keen insights into others never seems to translate into good judgement in her own life or an understanding of herself.
Oblivious: Renny is usually oblivious to the more subtle, political forms of danger.
Curiosity: She is curious enough to kill nine cats.
Impatient with Practice: Her love of the novel and skill for making do means she rarely has the patience needed to study a particular thing deeply.
Last edited by colomon on Fri Sep 07, 2012 12:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
colomon
Missing Some Marbles

Re: Renny

Post by colomon »

BTW, I'd be very game to flesh out relationships with the other PCs that have spent time around Amber -- "hooks", as Arref tends to call them.
Joshua
Gibbering

Post by Joshua »

Not the least of which is you explained one of there really odd scenes from First edition Mage: The Ascension involving Airships in your background. ^_^
Wyvern
Prismatic Pangolin

Post by Wyvern »

Okay, now I'm curious. Not that I'd have any reason to know in character, but still.

...Unless you'd have made a point of seeking out and talking to someone who arrived with Dworkin a mere two days ago? I mean, that's time spent around Amber, right? Just not much of it...
colomon
Missing Some Marbles

Post by colomon »

Wyvern wrote:Okay, now I'm curious. Not that I'd have any reason to know in character, but still.

...Unless you'd have made a point of seeking out and talking to someone who arrived with Dworkin a mere two days ago? I mean, that's time spent around Amber, right? Just not much of it...
Whoops, I played this visit has having arrived in Amber just in time for the party, so no. Not that Renny would probably have talked about the airship incident, unless you got her drunk. (I've not seen the Mage picture in question, either...)
Benabik
Sane. VERY Sane.

Post by Benabik »

Benabik has been in and out of Castle Amber a couple of times, in years 4 and 6. His two appearances were slightly different: while he would have been polite, he was more pleasant in year 6. Since we were both in that group first to walk it seems likely that we at least knew each other.
colomon
Missing Some Marbles

Post by colomon »

I don't think year 4 would have provided much opportunity to get to know Benabik... from Renny's perspective it would have been mostly "Hi! Pattern! Bye!" But they could have met in the last year, sure. Hmm... what do they have in common? I'm drawing a blank on that. Maybe they bonded trying to get out of something? Or Benabik did something to trigger Renny's curiosity?
colomon
Missing Some Marbles

Post by colomon »

BTW, her avatar is Michelle Williams -- the picture is not quite right for Renny, but it will do for now. (And considering how lazy I am, probably will do for quite some time.)
Benabik
Sane. VERY Sane.

Post by Benabik »

I can't see Benabik deliberately trying to get into trouble with Renny, so getting out of it doesn't sound quite right. Benabik is both secretive about himself and regularly shows off magical prowess. Also, Benabik has displayed some personality differences between then and now. Not sure if any of that would have attracted Renny's curiousity. If not, then we can say they are familiar, but no more.
colomon
Missing Some Marbles

Post by colomon »

Can Benabik dance?